Revolver vs Semi Auto for carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
What do you guys use and why?

Right now I carry a semi but have thought about getting a concealable revolver (like the Sp101).

zerosoma,

Revolvers still have there place in the gun industry. Automatics are used more only because of in part Hollywood. Revolvers are always in the ready but automatics offer more fire power. I too like SP101 myself stoked with some nice HP's.

Durango

I have carried both. Prefer a revolver. If I were to carry an auto, it would be a Kahr K9. Reliable and fits my hands well.

I have carried the SP101 in the past. Great revolvers. I would consider a 3" SP101 if I wanted a compact belt gun. A word of caution. SP101's are heavy and have a stiff gritty trigger pull.

I used to abhorr "hammerless" and lightweight revolvers. Now I carry a S&W 642 airweight. Great gun for self-defense. Hardly notice its presence in the right holster. Can be carried warm weather or cold. Easily slips into the front pocket of a pair of shorts in the summer time. Very smooth trigger pull.

First rule of a gunfight is "have a gun". The light weight of the 642 ensures that I don't second guess carrying or consider leaving my revolver at home because it is too heavy.

I prefer high capacity over nearly any other feature. I was attacked by 9 individuals, back in 2005. It opened my eyes to a large number of "self defense" related issues. It turned out just fine and nobody was hurt. However, had it gone the wrong way, I had 13 in the pistol and 12 in a second magazine. All of them would have been used and I would have needed more.

Glock 26 w/ spare G19 mag is my first choice.

I also have a Colt Cobra that sees CCW duty from time to time.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I use both depending on my flavor of the year. Last year my main concealed carry fun was my Ruger sp101. This year is my subcompact beretta PX4 storm

Dang! I've been trying to decide between both of those today!! Which one is better? I don't have a revolver so the concept of having one intrigues me; plus it feels good in the hand; but man oh man the px4 sc comes with lots of goods and is a big gun in a small package! Which would you recommend as the better gun?

I think semi-autos have become so reliable that for personal defense the semi-auto is probably the way to go. Unless new gun laws greatly limit how many rounds a semi-auto can have in a magazine. If some people have their way and reduce magazine capacity to about six rounds I think I would prefer a revolver.

But I still really like revolvers. A revolver is not likely to malfunction and is easy to clean. For personal defense in a house a revolver is still okay. The typical revolver carries six rounds (some more) and should be enough unless an entire gang attacks a house. Even though I am an old guy however I have shot far more semi-autos than revolvers. I have shot .38 Special, .357, .44 magnum, and .45 single action revolvers. But I have shot .25, 9 mm, .40 cal, .38 Super, and .45 cal semi-autos and I have fired thousands of rounds in semi-autos. In comparison I have shot relatively few revolver rounds.

For police on the streets however I think a semi-auto is much better than a revolver. But in a major gunfight pump action shotguns and rifles like AR-15s are much better.

I hate to say this but even the old 1911 .45 may well be on the way out. There are guns capable of firing .45 rounds that can carry more rounds such as the Glock.

Semi-autos are probably better than revolvers today. But I sure would hate to see the revolver disappear.

Problem with double stack 45acp guns is usually their bulky feeling. They tend to be wide. The 1911 is a skinny gun for a fullsize one. I can see the allure of a Colt Commander sized single stack for conceal carry, especially in summer when you wear less clothes to conceal it.

However, if concealment was not an issue, I would take a "lucky 7" 357mag over a 45acp single stack 1911. I feel its the more versatile round.

For civilian self defense use it will be over one way or another after the first few rounds.We are not going into a situation where we have to overcome and apprehend a bad guy or two like a cop.We run away from danger not to it.

Do you think the bad guys are going to stand there while you empty a 15 round mag? If facing more than one attacker, after a shot or two they will either run away or be on top of you or if your bad to the bone they will be on the ground.

Any reliable gun you are competent with in a reasonable caliber is fine,.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
When I carried for work I carried a S&W .357. When I carried concealed for PP I carried a S&W .357. If I ever carry concealed for PP again it will be a S&W .357.

I prefer the reliability of a revolver and truth be told I shoot better with them. I find them more accurate than a semi as a rule.

I am old school in most things though granted.

The line in red is the only one that matters.

There is an old story that after semi-autos became so popular and common accuracy took a hit. The more ammo some people have the more likely they are to just spray bullets. But someone armed with a six shot revolver must be accurate. And at longer range the revolver (double action) can be fired accurately by pulling the hammer back.

Either a revolver or a semi-auto is good enough for home defense.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
For civilian self defense use it will be over one way or another after the first few rounds.We are not going into a situation where we have to overcome and apprehend a bad guy or two like a cop.We run away from danger not to it.

Do you think the bad guys are going to stand there while you empty a 15 round mag? If facing more than one attacker, after a shot or two they will either run away or be on top of you or if your bad to the bone they will be on the ground.

Any reliable gun you are competent with in a reasonable caliber is fine,.

I understand your thinking, however, I don't think you are right. There are many assumptions with your proposed situations. The NY motorist who encountered belligerent motorcyclists now understands this clearly. As his NY legal 7 rounds would have been exhausted long before his firearm was helpful.

I can think of reason after reason as to why capacity is important in certain situations. Your attackers may not hear, or more likely may not recognize your gunshots. Not possible you say? Very possible indeed. Consider a riot situation where gunshots abound. Also consider if by shooting "the leader" you've not just inflamed "the followers". The list goes on and on. 6 rounds ain't enough, never was.

As I discovered, it's best not to assume anything about possible situations. I carry to be prepared. That includes being prepared for more than one attacker. It also includes the possibility of finding myself in the middle of an angry mob (which has also happened to me in Jakarta, Indonesia)

My attackers were under the influence. Do you honestly believe they were "thinking rationally" ??? They were out for blood. If shooting had started, (and I survived) I would have needed every one of my 24 rounds.

Last edited:
I think in the typical self-defense situation a person will be dealing with one or two or three people trying to break into their house.

In a major gunfight the cops might be involved in the last thing they want to do (unless they have no choice) is to try to fight several opponents, maybe armed with automatic weapons, using any kind of handguns-revolver or semi-auto. It would be much better to try to fight back with pump action shotguns and AR-15s. And to call for major backup.

But there might be a situation where the first police on the scene have nothing but their handguns. So I think it is better for the police to have semi-autos that can carry several rounds of ammo in magazines. Most police agencies in the USA now have semi-autos, usually 9mm or .40 cal.

Semi-autos definitely are more reliable today and carry more rounds than in the past. A lot of semi-autos in the past only carried about 7 or 8 rounds chambered and in the magazine. But the 1911 .45 was perhaps the best combat handgun back in those days and even today is very good.

For the average person in a house a revolver is still okay. Call the police first and then defend yourself with your gun, shooting only if you have to shoot.

Capacity means little to me. My .380 only has a 6 rd magazine

I would like a Ruger LCR. I just can't bring myself to part with that much money for a little wheelgun.

We seemed to veer off a little, I do have adequate home defense options at my disposal, including a reliable full size pistol. For every day carry at my job (a gas station) I'm wondering - px4 storm subcompact or the ruger sp101?

Originally Posted By: Durango

"..........Revolvers are always in the ready but automatics offer more fire power."

Durango

You are making the all too common mistake of confusing capacity with "firepower."

At times I have thought about how a revolver would be perfect for me. All I want is self defense at home and a revolver is simple, easy to clean and maintain, with no magazines to also maintain (although you can have speed loaders with a revolver), and with just a little practice at a range I would be in great shape. A handgun like a .357 can shoot both .38 Special and .357 rounds.

Just having a lot of rounds in a magazine in a semi-auto does not necessarily mean anything. The typical gunfight does not last long enough for more than a few rounds to be fired. A person would fire a lot of rounds only if you were attacked by a lot of people, or if you had to fire repeatedly at somebody who was behind cover. I am going to assume that a gang of 15 people are not going to try to get into my house at the same time.

But I have a couple of semi-autos so I will probably just keep using them.

Generally - between revolvers and semi-auto pistols, there is no 'better' or 'worse' option. It really depends on the end user.

For people who don't shoot very much, or are not extremely familiar with firearms in general, I would recommend a SA/DA or DAO revolver every time. S&W or Ruger. No worrying about rounds in the mag vs rounds in the chamber, no worrying about safeties, no racking of the slide after a light strike, no failures to feed, no worrying about mag or recoil spring fatigue.

On the other hand, for people who like to shoot a lot, or plan to practice a lot with their carry firearm, semi-auto pistols tend to be more practical and/or more fun. Any extra capacity is just a bonus. There are lots of good ones out there, so I won't start a brand war. Striker fired, SA, SA/DA, DAO... buy one of each or buy whatever your personal preference is. If you don't know what any of that means, buy a revolver.

Revolvers tend to be more reliable 'out of the box'. Semi-autos can be just as reliable, or more reliable, but it takes more work to establish that reliability (e.g., break-in period, practice with carry ammo, etc.).

Ruger LCR .357 mag with Crimson Trace laser grips. What's nice about a hammer-less revolver is that you can carry it in a pocket, and even shoot through a coat pocket if the situation warrants such action. The laser sight is also nice for very quick target acquisition in situations where you have to take quick action.

I really prefer semi-autos. For me the balance, ergonomics, better trigger, faster reloads and high capacity of the semi auto makes it better, in almost every situation, but especially carry, as mentioned in the topic. In any type of a fight, including a gun fight, I want every advantage I can possibly get. For me, that means a high capacity, very reliable semi-auto that I shoot well with.

As for the arguments of simplicity and reliability, to me a semi auto with no safety has that advantage also. Revolvers rely on timing, a series of moving parts interacting with each other and the shooters finger, just like automatics do. You can jam the cylinder of a revolver just as easy as you can jam the slide on a semi. Simply grabbing the cylinder and barrel of a revolver can stop the cylinder from turning and thus the revolver from firing, just like grabbing the slide and frame of an auto can take the pistol out of battery and cause it not fire. Lastly excessive dirt can jam up the action of a revolver just like it can a semi auto.

There really is no reliability advantage of a revolver over a semi automatic anymore. If you really want to get technical, revolvers are probably slightly easier to brake from rough handling and abuse than semi-autos are. The cylinder latch is relatively small and easy to brake off. The locking yoke(s) aren't real strong either and nor is the hand or action strut, whichever name you want to call it. On a semi auto like a glock, about the worse that could really happen to the outside of the gun from rough handling and abuse would be to brake the sights off and possibly crack the chamber at the ejection port but the chamber part of the barrel is very thick and strong and that would be very hard to do.

There are many reasons that modern police, military and security units world wide are not using revolvers anymore, follow in their footsteps and do not bother with revolvers. About the only exception to that would be if you want a 41 magnum or higher wilderness carry gun for defense against large animals. In that case, get yourself a ruger redhawk or s&w mountain gun. Cheers!

Originally Posted By: AMC

There are many reasons that modern police, military and security units world wide are not using revolvers anymore, follow in their footsteps and do not bother with revolvers. About the only exception to that would be if you want a 41 magnum or higher wilderness carry gun for defense against large animals. In that case, get yourself a ruger redhawk or s&w mountain gun. Cheers!

Agree completely. I would add, though, that for your hypothetical wilderness carry, I have a Glock 20c. The 10mm performs nearly identically to the .41 magnum, and in the Glock, I have 15 rounds in a slim, reasonably sized, relatively light pistol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back