Retrimming Automotive Carpet

The carpet in my Wife's Dacia is starting to look really grubby. It's a poor quality wirey carpet that's a nightmare to clean and is bobbing really badly. In all fairness to it, it has done 107k but also seems to have been a taxi in it's past life.

I'd like to retrim the carpet with a material of higher quality and durability. I'm thinking of purchasing something like this..

Shaving the existing carpet back to it's backing and gluing down the carpet above. Anyone have any experience of this or know of any guides?

Car carpet is molded to fit the contours of the floor so you can't just lay down a flat piece. It will be full of wrinkles. Better to find a good carpet in a junk yard car.

Car carpet is molded to fit the contours of the floor so you can't just lay down a flat piece. It will be full of wrinkles. Better to find a good carpet in a junk yard car.

Aware of this. Just reading up about heating and moulding carpets. I have no intention of replacing it with another OE item as it's rubbish. Reminds me of a MK1 Ford Focus.

An auto upholstery shop would be the place to take it. There is a learning curve to molding carpet and have it look good, not to mention some special tools. You can do the prep work by removing the seats and old carpet to save money, but leave the actual install to the pros if you want a nice looking result.

Back