Replacing height adjuster knob on Honda lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings All,

I have a Honda HRR216 self propelled lawnmower. Somehow the left rear tire height adjuster know broke off and I'm trying to replace it. I've removed the tire. I'm having a problem getting the bracket over the axle to replace the part. Does anyone know the secret? Thanks in advanced!

Do you have a full model number for it? There should be something like "VKA" or "SDA" after the HRR216. A serial number might help too. They may be on separate tags on the deck. There are actually a variety of HRR216 models and they don't all have the same setup in the rear.

I'm pretty sure the adjuster arm just slides off the axle on most of them once you remove the c-clips, gear, dust cover, etc.

Some years ago, one of the front wheel adjusters broke and the wheel fell right off my ~13yr/old HRS216SDA. The assembly itself cracked. It looked like some sort of cast and machined part. All the parts can be had and I mail-ordered a new one. Just Google "HRR216 height adjuster" or the likes. Plano Power is an excellent mail order source.

Joel

Thanks for the reply. It's a HRR216VXAA. I was able to order the part. The issue that I'm having is that there is a single adjustor knob for both rear wheels. The brackets on each side are connected with a rod which makes it nearly impossible to remove. The new knob goes behind the bracket.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Do you have a full model number for it? There should be something like "VKA" or "SDA" after the HRR216. A serial number might help too. They may be on separate tags on the deck. There are actually a variety of HRR216 models and they don't all have the same setup in the rear.

I'm pretty sure the adjuster arm just slides off the axle on most of them once you remove the c-clips, gear, dust cover, etc.

Ah.. Different setup than I thought.

Honda does do weird stuff with some replacement parts. I broke the self-propel cable on my mine and ordered a replacement. The cable was the exact part, but there was no way to get it into the throttle lever assembly given they were built as one part!

I had to do some utility knife magic to the plastic to get it to work.

Joel

Yikes, I looked at the parts diagram for this one and it does look difficult. I've never replaced the height adjuster on one with this setup. It looks like the axles might go through the bracket though, so you will probably have to remove the transmission at least partially to swap the parts.

Yikes is right! If I disconnect the belt from the engine, will the axle/transmission move enough for me to get the bracket over the axle? What is the best way to access the top of the tranny?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Yikes, I looked at the parts diagram for this one and it does look difficult. I've never replaced the height adjuster on one with this setup. It looks like the axles might go through the bracket though, so you will probably have to remove the transmission at least partially to swap the parts.

You're probably going to have to remove the belt anyway, so start there. You may have to disconnect some springs too. You will probably need to take a bunch of metal shields off to get to everything. I'm not sure exactly how to get that bracket out, but I would just start removing the parts attached to it, taking note of the order everything comes off.

It will be easiest to do this if you remove the gas and oil from the mower so you can flip it over completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back