Replacing camper shell brake light.

Friend of mine came over last night to look at her truck's camper shell brake light. They told her it won't pass inspection unless she gets it working. Her truck is a 94 Silverado with an aftermarket camper shell. Looked like years of sun basically melted the assembly together. I tried to pry the lens off to replace the bulb but it won't come off. We went to Autozone and they said they don't sell those items and recommended a truck accessories type place.

Where do you get these things?
brake light.jpg

Google "universal third brake light" should get you there. Most auto stores will have to order them in, so you might save $ ordering it yourself.

I have found them on Amazon. These were notorious for melting since the 900 series bulbs got so hot. If the wiring is okay I would replace with an LED. Most of the ones that are on Amazon now are the LED units that fit into an indentation on the roof just above the door.
You may luck out and find an old dusty one at a local truck cap store.

Had to deal with that myself on a Swiss topper on one of Dad;s trucks. I was able to get replacements off of eBay.

They're a junk design and last a couple of years. If they don't melt, then the mounting tabs break off.

Back