Replacement/Replica Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

The wheels on my 85 MB 300D need a new paint job. I re-finished my BMW's wheels, and wasnot the happiest with their condition long-term. Additionally, replica wheels are offered from some parts houses.

My question is, is there any sort of standard QC for replacement wheels? These replicas are very limited in information as to their maker. What would be the downside to buying replica wheels? What would the safety or functional issues be?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

JMH

As far as I know, while replacement wheel may look the same, they may not be made to the same standard.

For example, Rota Slipstream is a replica of a famous model of name brand, but they break the spoke much easier than the genuine one because they are not forged, but casted.

Have you consider a used set from a rolling shell/beater that has a dead power train?

The replica wheels I've looked at for my C4 Corvette have one big disadvantage--weight.

I take it that you're interested in not just aftermarket wheels but rather replica aftermarket wheels. The reason why I ask is because it's nice to have TUV approved wheels on a German car. Check out Ronal USA for wheels that may work for your car--German manufacturer, TUV approved, and less expensive than brands such as BBS.

I assume they're aluminum? I'll just throw something out here that I like to do. There are wheel restoration places that do this work too. If you don't mind a little more shine to the wheels, you could strip the paint and polish them. You don't have to get it to a mirror finish, and the polish I use leaves them with a dull shine that doesn't stand out. Once you have that smooth finish they don't seem to corrode at all and you can get them looking perfect again any time with minor polishing. Painting/clearcoating aluminum wheels has always seemed silly to me, but I guess it's cheaper to manufacture.

A wheel expert once told me to make sure any aftermarket rims are DOT-approved. I guess there's a lot of cheap rims on the market that aren't, though I can't imagine how they can be sold. Nor do I know how to check for rims that have the approval.

Quote:

For example, Rota Slipstream is a replica of a famous model of name brand, but they break the spoke much easier than the genuine one because they are not forged, but casted.

For every broken or cracked Rota Slipstream you have seen I can show you a bent or broken Spoon SW388.
wink.gif
To the OP: Could you link us to a choice of replica? If I know what you are looking for I could do a little research to get you some answers.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back