Replace or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

I'm not trying to say you should leave them on until 2/32nds but I would be curious what their logic is - just doesn't add up to me.

They did explain the change in policy and the logic for changing it. The tire manufactures have essentially come up with research saying it's safer to have the worn tires on the front:

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
You want the tires with the most tread on the rear of the vehicle. There are articles all over the web on this and most tire companies also recommend this, for example, here is Michelin's Advisory. The difference in tread depth is less in your case than if you bought two new tires, but the effect is the same if there is a significant difference in tread depth.

I would either rotate them myself or find a small business tire shop to do it. I can't stand Discount Tire's logic on putting balder tires on the front. If one of my tires is gonna blow I sure hope it's in the rear. My grandparents almost had their Jeep roll over at 75 mph from a front tire blowout. I live in Phoenix, I'm not going to spin out on a wet surface, I'm not an idiot first of all, and second of all it rains maybe once every 2 months in Phoenix if you're lucky, and I wouldn't even call it a rain storm. The only type of storms here are dust storms. Put the deeper tread tires on front and it will wear more evenly, ride it out a few thousand more miles.

I played it safe and replaced them. I drove the Jeep in the rain yesterday and those Forteras are just awful. When it comes to my wife's life and our family's safety, no compromise. I just didn't realize how bad they were as I don't drive the Jeep as often.

Fresh set of Yokohama YK580s. Very happy with the transformation. We'll see how they hold up on a heavy SUV.

So tires are now worn at 5-7/32nds? They better all start coming with >15/32nds then. I agree that you significantly lose traction when they are down to 5-7/32nds, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you see snow. I would have left them for awhile if in TX. I also would have left the most tread in rear. WK2 is a rwd-biased vehicle. I replaced my worn OE Latitudes at about 5.5/32nds (22,000 mi), but 1 tire had a gauge in the sidewall, and we see a lot of snow in the past few years. They were worse than Forteras.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
So tires are now worn at 5-7/32nds? They better all start coming with >15/32nds then. I agree that you significantly lose traction when they are down to 5-7/32nds, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you see snow. I would have left them for awhile if in TX. I also would have left the most tread in rear. WK2 is a rwd-biased vehicle. I replaced my worn OE Latitudes at about 5.5/32nds (22,000 mi), but 1 tire had a gauge in the sidewall, and we see a lot of snow in the past few years. They were worse than Forteras.

With the nearly 300lb weight difference between your WK2 and mine, provided yours is 4x4, they needed to be changed. 4/32 on the front was the official measurement.

No price on safety. I did get a killer deal though.

Did you rotate regularly? Mine wore very evenly. All measured the same. I only rotated twice within 22K, but I check regularly with a depth gauge. I had OE Forteras on a 2wd V8 Sport Trac. They would have been lucky to make it 30K. You did pretty good. I liked them much better than the Latitudes. There aren't many choices in the 20" OE size. I'm almost glad I have the 18s.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Did you rotate regularly? Mine wore very evenly. All measured the same. I only rotated twice within 22K, but I check regularly with a depth gauge. I had OE Forteras on a 2wd V8 Sport Trac. They would have been lucky to make it 30K. You did pretty good. I liked them much better than the Latitudes. There aren't many choices in the 20" OE size. I'm almost glad I have the 18s.

Rotated every 6-7K miles. Forteras do really well on crossovers, according to the guys at Discount. They are just a very old tire design that hasn't stayed in tune with the needs of vehicles.

We drove to LSU this weekend and a few times, I didn't realize I was going 80+ because of how quiet the Jeep has become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back