Replace or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two front tires that have 5/32nd on the center sections and 4/32nds on the sides. Discount Tire would not rotate them front to rear as they are no longer allowed to, if the tire has less that 5/32nds on any section of tread, per a new policy.

I cannot buy 2 tires as my Jeep has 4WD, so I need to buy 4.... the rear tires have 6/32nds-7/32nds... seeing as we have a road trip next weekend, should I replace them now, or go a little longer? They rotated them side to side in the mean time.

+2 I think the new policy is a policy that gets you to spend money.. I would replace them before they get below the illegal depth, whatever that may be in your area.

Is the Jeep full time AWD or part time 4x4? If it's part time 4x4, you don't need to replace all four tires at once. The only time you'll be using 4wd is on slippery surfaces where the (negligibly small) difference in diameter won't make a difference, and the rest of the time you'll be in 2wd where it doesn't matter if the tires are a different size.

I'm thinking of doing it myself. My brother has a few friends that work there and even he said, yeah, I would just replace them. I know they aren't dishonest guys, hence why I asked, wait or replace now.

I have an impact wrench.

My Jeep has full time AWD with a low range.

"New policy"?

What's the policy on your receipt for the tires?

If it says free rotation for the life of the tire, that's until legal depth.

If you wanna fight, and have angry people working on your truck.
wink.gif

DIY.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
"New policy"?

What's the policy on your receipt for the tires?

If it says free rotation for the life of the tire, that's until legal depth.

If you wanna fight, and have angry people working on your truck.
wink.gif

DIY.

These are still the OEM tires on the Jeep. I haven't replaced them yet. Rolled over 32350mi today.

If you are staying in warmer climates just keep them until they don't pass inspection. At least that is what I do. YMMV

If you are going to a snowy area then I may replace them.

I always thought the tread wear indicators were at 2mm so why not rotate them?

5/32 is more than 2mm right? Dang my math is getting bad. Isn't 5/32 around 4mm?

I think they are being a little too conservative. .

What do you expect? They want to sell you some tires.

Jeff

You want the tires with the most tread on the rear of the vehicle. There are articles all over the web on this and most tire companies also recommend this, for example, here is Michelin's Advisory. The difference in tread depth is less in your case than if you bought two new tires, but the effect is the same if there is a significant difference in tread depth.

Tires' tread depth is like a chain, it's only as good as it's weakest link which would be the lowest of the measured in any of the circumferential grooves. When I take measurements, I measure in the inside and outside shoulders and in the middle. If the tires appear to being wearing evenly, I may just measure the middle groove, but I don't believe it to be best practice to only measure in the middle. Most TWI (tread wear indicators) are set to 2/32 on passenger car tires and I believe a bit higher on light truck tires.

If there is a great difference between tread depth from the front axle to the rear (I believe if it's over a 3/32 difference) it isn't necessarily prudent to rotate front to rear as you'd then have tires on the rear axle with compromised wet traction compared to the front. Wet traction does become adversely compromised at 4/32 and below; 5/32 isn't too far from it.

There are certain tolerances to each manufacture's AWD/4WD systems, some tolerate as much as 5% rolling diameter difference. I haven't done the math, but a 2/32 to 3/32 difference may be equivalent to that. Considering new (passenger car type) tires start at about 10/32 you could possibly be ok with just replacing two tires and keeping the ones that measure out 7/32 but put those on the front. I'd advise to adhere to what your vehicle owner's manual specifies in regard to tire replacement; I'm sure it'll mention if you should do all four or two or what the tolerances are.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

What do you expect? They want to sell you some tires.

Jeff

I thought that, until my brother's friend who works there and my brother-in-law's friend who works there both agreed that I would need new tires at some point soon and I shouldn't put those on the rear. Seeing as I know those guys and I trust them, I am not going to say they are steering me wrong.

So back to the original question, do I replace or wait to replace? I'm leaning towards replace since I am about to embark on a 700 mile, round trip, road trip this weekend. My BIL's friend gave me a huge break on a set of LTX M/S2s and I'm going to have them installed this week.

I looked at other tires, but I'm just not sure about others, except all terrains. I've always have good luck with the LTX M/S and M/S2 on other Jeeps.... unless you BITOGers think there is a better option...

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
go somewhere else that would, that's irrational of a policy that try to force people to buy new tires.

Again, nobody is forcing me to buy new tires. They just wouldn't rotate them to the rear. They did a side to side rotation. I could drive on them a little longer.

I think you all are jumping to conclusions... my original question was "Do I replace these tires now, or wait to replace them?", not "Discount Tire is saying I need to buy new tires."

And, like I've mentioned before, I know people who work there. Nobody has been dishonest or pressuring me to do anything.

Personally, I would wait to replace them, assuming bad weather (in my mind winter & snow) was not an issue/concern.

Is there an explanation given for why they will no longer rotate tires with < 5/32nds?

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Is there an explanation given for why they will no longer rotate tires with < 5/32nds?

New policy regarding tread depth of the tires on the rear. If any part of the tire is below 5/32nds, they will no longer put them on the rear. It's related to the Michelin advisory that was posted above.

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

New policy regarding tread depth of the tires on the rear. If any part of the tire is below 5/32nds, they will no longer put them on the rear. It's related to the Michelin advisory that was posted above.

My question was more, did they give you an explanation of why 5/32nds was the cut off. I'm not trying to make it about DT trying to sell you tires, I was just curious what their justification was.

The only wording/advisement I've seen is newer/deeper tread in the rear. The only tread depth reference I see in the Michelin Advisory above reads "Always make sure your tires have at least 2/32” of tread depth and are in good condition." so I wasn't sure how DT came up with 5/32nds, particularly since any prorated warranty I've read references 2/32nds.

I'm not trying to say you should leave them on until 2/32nds but I would be curious what their logic is - just doesn't add up to me.

Also, owning front wheel drive cars myself, whenever I see something about refusing to rotate more worn tires to the rear it just doesn't make sense to me, since effectively the tires in the front are always going to be at least slightly more worn than the rears until they are rotated if the mileage isn't even (ie first rotation on the tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back