Replace brake pads?

64526AF5-47BB-4947-AFBC-564521410F63.jpeg

Car gets 3-5k/yr. Pads are OE. D537 caliper.

As seen in the picture, the inboard pad measured 3mm and has some tapered wear.

Replace or leave it?

Last edited:
Pads are at 5/32. I thought most states with safety inspection fail at 1/32 riveted and 2/32 for bonded pads.

Looks like it has some time left on it, but you don't have to deal with rust so you can probably wait a few months.

Over here where you have to deal with rust, it would be worth replacing sooner since rust causes a lot of problems with sticky calipers.

3-5k a year isn't a lot of driving, but the kind of driving done in a low annual mileage car involves disproportionately more stops and more brake usage.

This is one of those cases where it's more about how much your time is worth and how much you like re-doing the job very soon, and what the value of money is to you.

Plenty of money, and/or don't like re-doing the labor? Replace cheap parts while your hands are greasy on dirty PITA jobs. Pads are cheap, labor is expensive.

However, if you're broke and/or like redoing the job in a year? You can make these last awhile and put it off for a spell.

I tend to be in the former camp but it really just depends. But usually, if I am going thru the trouble of many steps and getting pretty dirty and spending an afternoon, I am inclined to replace any wear parts that are a "maybe" if they are cheap and not difficult while I already have the XYZ off or disassembled or torn apart, etc.

Back