Replace 1 tire or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on her finances if saving the $100 or whatever magical amount is going to break the bank. I don't think she needs to scrimp every last $ and may prefer to get things done, but that's for you to give her the options.
You need to evaluate exactly how much that credit is worth. at 5/32nds, perhaps it's not worth too much.

I would say replace all 4, because there's only a few 32nds left.

1) Costco (or other places) gives you a $70 discount when you buy 4, which will make up for the extra 5k in tirelife. If you're buying in 1s and 2s you're not going to get the discount. You'll have to see though if the sales rotation is on bridgestone or michelin.

2) It's El Nino and we're entering the rainy season. If it were April, I'd think differetly, and perhaps you could delay through the summer.

3) Time spent at the shop. Might be a hassle to put the car in the shop, and then have to do it again 5k down the road.
EVERY discount tireshop is a minimum 2hours+ to put on tires, and typically more like 3 or 4. Only if you go to a premium shop that doesn't do discount work, will you get out fast. What I mean by this, is a shop that charges per every service, and don't do lifetime rotations or lifetime service or lifetime alignment.
While this may seem expensive, what it does is it clears out the riff-raff and a competent mechanic doing the work, rather then an apprentice who's pushed to turn-and-burn.
There's truth to the "you get what you pay for".
If you think you're getting a "deal" for a lifetime service, you need to realize so are all the other deal-hunters competing for that resource.

Last edited:
All good feedback.

America's Tire took care of me on this one and I ended up with two new Yokohama YK580s on this RX330. The rear tires (with 4/32" left) were moved to the front and will be replaced in about 5,000 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back