Renault, Mitsubishi, Nissan Alliance Info.

Some of you here on BITOG might not be aware of the alliance relationship between these three OEMs. I ran across this detail and thought I would post it for your review in the case you have interest.

Take a L@@K at the presentation and press release. There is some good content here that outlines their future platform plans.

Mitsubishi will be absorbed into the entity and their offerings will be rebadged Nissans and Renault automobiles. Eventually they will wither away.

Mitsubishi will be absorbed into the entity and their offerings will be rebadged Nissans and Renault automobiles. Eventually they will wither away.
This is exactly what I am asking myself retorically about Subaru. Once EV conversion is complete, will Subaru be sold or melded into Toyota.

One thing which would've helped me maintain interest in the video (thanks for posting it) would've been popping up pictures of the various car models mentioned around 14 minutes.

The common ball joints, brake hardware, window cranks etc. of yesteryear's car makers have evolved into platforms, battery packs and electric motors of today's car industry.

"They have to collude", said an economics teacher once.

This is exactly what I am asking myself retorically about Subaru. Once EV conversion is complete, will Subaru be sold or melded into Toyota.

I don’t think so because Subaru has a bigger consumer base than Mitsubishi. I do see Subaru taking Toyota’s electric and hybrid platforms though but with their own body. Mazda is doing the same.

If you look at the Mazda CX50 it’s easy to envision that vehicle with a Subaru front and grill so anything is possible.

You think the current line up is not withering away? They likely got a surge during pandemic on sales as people got pretty desperate however production is back anongst desirable brands and fourth tier cars are out.

Completely not being a smartie pants with this question.
What are the tiers of cars?

1) Super exotics (Lamborghini, Ferrari)
2) Super wealth (RR, Maybach)
3) The stuff we poor slobs buy
4) Mitsubishi, Lada,
?
I never heard the term before. TIA

Subaru has a large aerospace and defense division. I don’t know if Toyota would want that.
No but maybe Honeywell, Boeing, Bombardier, or Embraer might.

My feeling is that there is way too much overcapacity in the industry now, and some brands and conglomerate OEMs are going to probably fade away. Our present day period reminds me of what happened to many of the independent OEMs in the 50s and 60s, or even the early coach makers if you go farther back in time.

Never. Toyota knows better than to mess with a good thing.
Subaru has the most loyal customer base in the industry and also has one of the best dealer networks. They have been profitable year after year, in good times and bad, and have been an asset to every auto manufacturer who has held controlling interest in them. Nissan was first and when they got in trouble in the late 90s they sold their stake to GM to raise cash, then when GM got in trouble in the mid 2000s they sold their stake to Toyota to raise cash. Both times Subaru was actually WORTH something. In the ten years leading up to Toyota's purchase, Nissan and then GM had robbed so much of Subaru's profits that by the time Toyota took over in 2005 they had become hopelessly behind in design, product development, and manufacturing processes/tooling/equipment. Toyota pumped a large amount of money into them to improve their designs, update their products, and update their factories. Their association also gave Subaru access to Toyota's supplier system and economy of scale. Within a short period of time these expenditures payed-off BIG TIME! Subaru has literally tripled their sales since 2008. Toyota is not stupid, they are not going to mess with this and to their credit they have left Subaru largely autonomous.

Last edited:
No but maybe Honeywell, Boeing, Bombardier, or Embraer might.

My feeling is that there is way too much overcapacity in the industry now, and some brands and conglomerate OEMs are going to probably fade away. Our present day period reminds me of what happened to many of the independent OEMs in the 50s and 60s, or even the early coach makers if you go farther back in time.

My take is that the Japan government will keep Subaru close to the vest. They are rapidly building up their military so Subaru is critical in that regard.

Subaru already does work for Boeing and Lockheed Martin among others. If you fly on a Boeing aircraft chances are there are some Subaru parts and sections.

The Versa and Sentra are examples of the Renault/Nissan alliance from years back. Both were dead set on producing their product so we get a competition in the same class. The Versa is from Renault and the Sentra from... the other one.

Look at this fancy sticker under the hood of my 2017 Frontier pickup. The vehicle is a Japanese product, produced in Mississippi from a company with North American HQ's in Nashville, Tn. It's no wonder this thing is such a piece of junk.

Renault NISSAN.JPG

The Versa and Sentra are examples of the Renault/Nissan alliance from years back. Both were dead set on producing their product so we get a competition in the same class. The Versa is from Renault and the Sentra from... the other one.

Look at this fancy sticker under the hood of my 2017 Frontier pickup. The vehicle is a Japanese product, produced in Mississippi from a company with North American HQ's in Nashville, Tn. It's no wonder this thing is such a piece of junk.

View attachment 166046
My 22 Frontier also has a Renault sticker on the battery. Have you had issues with your 17’?

My 22 Frontier also has a Renault sticker on the battery. Have you had issues with your 17’?
It's been a pile of junk. I have forgotten all of the things that have failed. But the battery was one of them. The fan clutch was another. The horn stopped working. I've never in my life had a horn stop working. The assembly was abysmal - parking brakes not working, wiper washer not hooked up, shock strut not tightened. It was a horror show. And the customer care support was even worse. There will never be another NISSAN anything parked in my driveway... EVER!! I'm sticking with more comparatively reliable vehicles such as the 1988 Yugo GV. ;)

Washer pump not plugged in from the factory. The harness is left dangling. This was behind the fender liner that was missing two fasteners.
Nissan fail 2.JPG

Weather sheath not properly installed from the factory. I guess the PDI guy forgot his glasses on this day.
Nissan fail 3.JPG

Two nuts that hold the shock absorber to the frame were left finger tight.
Nissan fail 5.JPG

So NISSAN won my award for worst new vehicle build quality of 2017. Nobody ever asked me for a survey or a review of the dealership. I wonder why?

I haven't noticed any Renault logos or stickers on our 2019 Sentra, pretty sure the engine has some Renault DNA in it though. Mitsubishi is a massively large company that just dabbles in auto manufacturing.

I can say that Renault partnering with other brands gave us some pretty cool things over the years.

1688999065462.png

It's been a pile of junk. I have forgotten all of the things that have failed. But the battery was one of them. The fan clutch was another. The horn stopped working. I've never in my life had a horn stop working. The assembly was abysmal - parking brakes not working, wiper washer not hooked up, shock strut not tightened. It was a horror show. And the customer care support was even worse. There will never be another NISSAN anything parked in my driveway... EVER!! I'm sticking with more comparatively reliable vehicles such as the 1988 Yugo GV. ;)

Washer pump not plugged in from the factory. The harness is left dangling. This was behind the fender liner that was missing two fasteners.
View attachment 166074

Weather sheath not properly installed from the factory. I guess the PDI guy forgot his glasses on this day.
View attachment 166075

Two nuts that hold the shock absorber to the frame were left finger tight.
View attachment 166076

So NISSAN won my award for worst new vehicle build quality of 2017. Nobody ever asked me for a survey or a review of the dealership. I wonder why?
That truck must of been built on a Monday. 😳 my 08’ Pathfinder’s horn also stopped working, it was the clock spring.

That truck must of been built on a Monday. 😳 my 08’ Pathfinder’s horn also stopped working, it was the clock spring.
The horn on my truck is a dual-tone horn with two scrolls. The high frequency scroll stopped working completely. It's sold as an assembly so I have a spare low-frequency scroll for when the other one fails.

I could have taken the vehicle back to a local dealership for warranty work but I fear it would have been a mess and likely caused more problems for me. The fan clutch and horn cost about $150 to replace and the basic mechanical work is just something I do myself. The less fingers that find their way into the pudding, the better the pudding will remain.

Back