Removing outer tie-rod from knuckle

Status
Not open for further replies.
1992 Subaru. Kroil, PB Blaster, gas torch, beating a nut on the thread with a hammer. Nothing's moving it. Frozen soild, but doesn't look rusty.
Special tool? Ideas? Help!

X2 to what Chris says. Also works well if you put another large hammer against the other side of the knuckle as you whack the one side. If it's REALLY stuck and you need to replace the tie rod end anyway, there are tools for the job, but they destroy the seals.

Some of the auto parts chains "rent/loan" those special pullers for free. Autozone is one.

A big hammer can work wonders, but you might have to find a MAN to swing it for you.
grin.gif

I personally don't like pickle-forks because they destroy the boot. That's fine if you're replacing the part... but it won't do if you mean to put it back together with the same ball joint.

There are other types of pullers out there, but I've never used them. I've never run across a tie rod end, ball joint, or the like that I couldn't break loose with a hammer or two (sometimes you have to 'back up' the joint with a big hammer so you can get in a more solid hit).

A hammer used judiciously will mushroom the threads. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I have actually "fixed" mushroomed threads with a grinder.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: onion
A big hammer can work wonders, but you might have to find a MAN to swing it for you.
grin.gif

I personally don't like pickle-forks because they destroy the boot. That's fine if you're replacing the part... but it won't do if you mean to put it back together with the same ball joint.

There are other types of pullers out there, but I've never used them. I've never run across a tie rod end, ball joint, or the like that I couldn't break loose with a hammer or two (sometimes you have to 'back up' the joint with a big hammer so you can get in a more solid hit).

I tend to agree with onion on this. Before I was hired at the shop I work at, they used these little piddly hammers... I used to work at a fab shop building large water filters, so naturally I had a couple of REAL hammers... Once I started with them, I'd watch them just pounding like men possessed.. I'd walk over and maul it my hammer and problem solved. Now, I'm the go-to-guy for hammers.

I also agree that pickle forks are bad news for tie rod and ball joint boots.

For tie rods my personal favorite is the air hammer and a special cupped attachment, although a flat tip would work okay. Nearly instant removal and no damaged threads. Next of course is the old stand by - the (big) hammer. Leave the nut most of the way on (I like flat with the end of the stud) and give it a really hard swing or two.

For ball joints on FWD cars, I like to back the nut off, then wedge a 7/8" cold chisel between the nut and the axle shaft, then grab my trusty big hammer to pop it apart. On occasion, you'll need to stack two chisels together to get enough height to reach the axle shaft...

exranger06 has the answer.
This project is my son's and that's what he bought at the parts store for about $15. A 3' length of 1" pipe on the end of a breaker bar finally got it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Hit the SIDES of the knuckle where the taper is.
Then hit hard with a heavy hand sledge on the thread portion, to push it out.
If it is toasted, then who cares if you use a nut to protect the threads??

One or two good blows are usually enough.

A pickle fork of the proper size works well. Once again, one or two heavy blows with a heavy hammer will get her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back