Remove body molding fastener?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What tool would be good to get this off? I was going to try a screwdriver and try and pry it off but I don't want to break it. It's body molding on an 01 Echo.
Thanks
fastener%2001.jpg

fastener%2002.jpg

Looks like one of those plastic rivet type fasteners where you pull out the center piece about a 1/4 and it releases the tension on the fingers of the outer ring. You might be able to use your fingers but any lightweight pry tool should work. It takes very little force.

Is that the belly pan under the engine compartment?

That's a 2-piece fastener. Carefully pry the inside button away from the outside lip. Once the inside part comes out far enough, you'll be able to pull the entire fastener out of the hole.

I'm sure there's a special tool for it, but I always just use a flat screwdriver.

Get two skinny flat-blade screwdrivers. Push the tips into little gap between the circumference and the middle of that fastener, the screwdrivers being 180-degrees opposed to each other.

Now pry outwards. The head of the fastener will pop out a bit. Pull the head out more until it stops. The fastener will now easily release from its hole.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Why do you want to remove it?

I'll bet he wants to get at the rust underneath.

You need a clip removal tool, it's what we use in the body shop.

In the second picture Merkava posted, you stick it under the first part that comes out and pull it out most of the way or all the way, then stick it under the main part and pry.

qno30m.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Why do you want to remove it?

I'll bet he wants to get at the rust underneath.

Yes, gotta deal with that rust. Thanks for all the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back