Remington 870 tactical set up question

That's probably personal choice unless there's information about faulty parts. I'd rank them Magpul, Hogue, ATI strictly on quality but that's IMO.

I have a Hogue forearm and stock on an 870 Magnum, like the feel of the over-molded rubber. Not sure why I bothered, it lives in the gun safe and never gets shot.

I am looking for an aftermarket stock that grips better and absorbs recoil the best for my 870 Wingmaster. Want to save the pretty "Wingmaster" stock! LOL

Any pad with the Remington R3, Supercell, Limbsaver or the Hogue pad will be fine.

Pistol grip on a pump is fine but it sort of changes the form but never, ever, put a pistol grip forend on the front.

Before you go full tacti-cool on a gun, answer this: Which of the following looks like “someone looking for a fight” to an anti-gun prosecutor?
IMG_2421.jpeg
IMG_2423.jpeg

Before you go full tacti-cool on a gun, answer this: Which of the following looks like “someone looking for a fight” to an anti-gun prosecutor?
View attachment 203058View attachment 203060
View attachment 203058View attachment 203060
Laws are different in Fl. Just interested in what people have found to work as I am looking to change the set up on one of my 870's. Don't have a specific need just looking to make one of my gun safe shotguns tactical as none are at the moment.

Last edited:
Who makes the best quality conversion to tactical use 870 Remington frame parts? ATI, Hogue, Magpul?
It will depend on whether you are wanting a pistol grip or just replace the standard monte carlo stock with a synthetic stock and forend set.

A few things to consider:

flashlight
auxillary shotshell holder
whether or not tools are required for disassembly after you install a part.

The 870 works well for pistol grip applications due to the position of the safety, and the addition of an "M4" style stock still allows disassembly for maintenance without tools. Not so with the mossberg 500.

Magpul stock and forend is very comfortable and durable, and is the best of both worlds. Provides a pistol grip type feel, but with a conventional stock.

Hogue is rubber, but get a little sweat on your hand and couple that with a little oil, and they are slick. Good quality, but has it drawbacks.

ATI is typically excellent DUPont polymer.

Choate has a few options

Mesa Tactical has excellent options aswell.... https://mesatactical.com/urbino-pistol-grip-stock-for-remington-870-1100-11-87-12-ga/

It will depend on whether you are wanting a pistol grip or just replace the standard monte carlo stock with a synthetic stock and forend set.

A few things to consider:

flashlight
auxillary shotshell holder
whether or not tools are required for disassembly after you install a part.

The 870 works well for pistol grip applications due to the position of the safety, and the addition of an "M4" style stock still allows disassembly for maintenance without tools. Not so with the mossberg 500.

Magpul stock and forend is very comfortable and durable, and is the best of both worlds. Provides a pistol grip type feel, but with a conventional stock.

Hogue is rubber, but get a little sweat on your hand and couple that with a little oil, and they are slick. Good quality, but has it drawbacks.

ATI is typically excellent DUPont polymer.

Choate has a few options

Mesa Tactical has excellent options aswell.... https://mesatactical.com/urbino-pistol-grip-stock-for-remington-870-1100-11-87-12-ga/
Decided to leave my 870's as they were and got a great deal on one of those Turkish made Semi-Tactical 12 gauge

The term 'tactical', or is it 'tacticool', has been so overused and over abused as it make it revoltingly irrelevant. Is 'tactical' the add on goodies and appearance, or is 'tactical' the individual skill of the person operating the gun in deployment and utilization?

In IveBeenRued's illustrations, an idiot with the tricked out gun is just that, an idiot with a tricked out gun. They will be no match for a proficient shooter using the plain jane model.

The term 'tactical', or is it 'tacticool', has been so overused and over abused as it make it revoltingly irrelevant. Is 'tactical' the add on goodies and appearance, or is 'tactical' the individual skill of the person operating the gun in deployment and utilization?

In IveBeenRued's illustrations, an idiot with the tricked out gun is just that, an idiot with a tricked out gun. They will be no match for a proficient shooter using the plain jane model.
Its how the parts and or the weapon is designed and marketed today compared to stock. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing was inferred about the operator!

I would find a good shop or maybe a gun show and compare what you like. Ask them why there' is better than a competitor as they likely know the products very well.

I am looking for an aftermarket stock that grips better and absorbs recoil the best for my 870 Wingmaster. Want to save the pretty "Wingmaster" stock! LOL
Check out : Limbsaver , Falcon Strike and Kick-Ez butt pads for your pretty Wingmaster stock . They all reduce recoil much better than a stock butt pad and should have nice fitting options for the 870 .

Back