Remington 700 series bolt action rifles ARE UNSAFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on people!! News people are just in it for the headlines! If they are proven wrong they just print a retraction and all is forgivin. I will bet that 99.9999% of those instances, the idiot fired the gun by mistake and then later made up another story because they were embarased or they needed to protect themselves from the law.

Why don''t you look at the other side of the story first Remington 700

Well I would rather have a controlled feed action anyways on most of my guns. I have several Mausers, but would use any action based off them like the Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Kimber 84, BRNO or CZ rifles, or the old Browning Safari guns.

I have a CZ 550 Safari in 375 H&H and most serious hunters usually used a double or a mauser based action in the days of ivory hunters.

Now I do have a push feed Enfield that has not failed me yet, but when hunting things that hunt you back, I prefer controlled feeding actions.

I had mentioned earlier that my Grandad's 700 had gone off when the safety was turned off, and it happened to me this morning with another Remington 700! I have an older one in .308 that I've been shooting for years without a problem. This morning I went to shoot a buck and when I pushed off the safety the gun fired! I didn't have on gloves and my finger was not on the trigger. The deer ran off and I chambered another round. Thankfully he came back and I was able to take him cleanly. I have tried it multiple times since then and it is working fine now. I have always been a big fan of the 700, but I'm honestly beginning to not trust them. I am going to talk to Remington and will post what I get from them.

Update: I called Remington and told them about my problem. They had me a prepaid shipping label at my house 2 days later. I mailed it to them and this is what they told me. "Could not duplicate problem, trigger assembly dirty" and return shipping was $15 and they'd clean the trigger. I called the lady and very nicley told her that I really wasn't all that satisfied with that answer, as I keep my guns very clean (although I can't swear as to what was inside the trigger, the gun is 30 years old). I told here I'd just like her to send me the gun back and I'd just put a Timney in it. She told me that was fine and not to worry about return shipping they would pay it. Put in the Timney today and it is AWESOME. Final verdict: They didn't admit that there was anything wrong, and since neither I nor they could duplicate the problem I guess I can't fault them much for not doing anything. Their customer service was quite excellent and I dealt with the same nice lady through the entire process.

Yesterday I messed aroung with a trigger on a Rem 721 a pre 700 but the trigger is the same I took the unit totally apart and cleaned and inspected the unit. I found it to need to be clean and the adjustment matters.

I'm sure many would take any 'defective' model 700s off the hands of anyone who didn't want them, at a reduced price of course. I'm not a big fan of stock Remington triggers though. The reason is pull weight & how they usually adjust. I only have 2 Remington rifles, one had a Timney trigger & the other a Shilen.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I told here I'd just like her to send me the gun back and I'd just put a Timney in it. She told me that was fine and not to worry about return shipping they would pay it. Put in the Timney today and it is AWESOME.

So what does a Timney trigger assy typically run for price? Is it a drop-in replacement or does it need the skills of a gun smith?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I told here I'd just like her to send me the gun back and I'd just put a Timney in it. She told me that was fine and not to worry about return shipping they would pay it. Put in the Timney today and it is AWESOME.

So what does a Timney trigger assy typically run for price? Is it a drop-in replacement or does it need the skills of a gun smith?

They run $125 straight from Timney and you can tell them what pull weight you want. It is a pretty straight forward install process. Just drift two pins out then drift them back in the new trigger. I had to file on the inside of my stock a little to clear part of the trigger. They come with good directions and 1st time will probably take you 45min.

I would not trust anything CNBC had to say about guns. There are more of these bolt actions out there than anything. If it needed a fix (for crying out loud) Remington would have done it.

Yep! More anti-gun B.S. The military snipers are STILL using 700's to this day. They have been using them for decades. More 700's have been sold than ANY other bolt action rifle. I owned a 700 for 10 years. Never had a problem and I've NEVER heard of this problem either.

This story is rubbish!

My 700 in 6mm remington has never disfired when I opened the bolt or fired with the safty on, although I will say there is a little play in the trigger when the safty is on and I swear if you pull on it hard enough the safty will jump back into fire-mode.But thats why I dont play around with saftys. Its the first rule and common sense, treat every gun as if it where loaded.

While most people use these guns for hunting theres always a drunk out there in a stand who shoots himself and says the safty didnt work.

Many people are unsafe with whatever they are holding.
I fear some of my coworkers when they have a 'hot coffee' in their hands. These would be the same type of people that would shoot themselves or someone next to them by 'accident'.

Its the Fram complex. The highest volume will show the most failures. But, the failure rate is usually lowest. Would you rather buy a weapon that only sold a few thousand and has a dozen reported problems, or another weapon that sold a few million with a dozen reported problems? The sheer volume of the 700's sales is playing into the media frenzy.

Amazingly enough, I had a local gunsmith tell me to bring my 700 in so he could check the serial number against a recall list. The recall is for fautly triggers on models spanning the entire Remington collection as far back as 1985. On my particular model, as quoted from the recall message-trigger failure could result in injury or loss of life. He is ordering a new assemly from Remington and will repair it next week. Needless to say once it is repaired I will be selling it and buying something more reliable. My theory is if they cant get that right, what else could they have messed up?

I've always wanted a nice 700 in .308. I wish prices around here were lowered because of the hysterics, but it seems Texans once again aren't falling victim to lawyers.

My friends 700 he picked up 2 weeks ago actually has this problem. A quick tuning and it was good to go. Still dangerous though.

All guns are dangerous...and every incident with the 700 involved a LOADED gun POINTED AT A PERSON. Defective safety or not, if you break 2 of the 4 cardinal rules of firearm safety, that's human error as a root cause.

If you buy the CNBC line of reasoning on this issue, then you had better not buy a Toyota...they're killer cars that run away and kill people (unless you shift to Neutral and step on the brake...) and you had better not buy an Audi from the 80's - they're known killer cars that run people over (if you mistake the gas pedal for the brake pedal)...

Do we really live in a society where everyone refuses to take responsibility for their actions? Have we all been brainwashed by the lawyers into thinking that inanimate objects must be at fault for our actions?

Sheesh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back