Reloading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to reloading and want to get thoughts on recipes.

Does anybody on this forum reload for a 1911 .45 pistol? If so, what's your favorite powder, bullet, OAL, recipe etc...

Thanks

Done tens of thousands of .45 reloads. (and .40, 9mm, .38/.357 and others
48.gif
)

Clays, Universal Clays, Unique, W231/HP38, AA2, AA5 and many other powders work well. Prob the "best" is the W231/HP38. My favorite is 200 gn lead SWC. I will not post loads (go to the web site for your powder for info) as if I type something wrong or you read it wrong I'd hate to be in the loop.

Also we have a sister web site Thread and link here go check it out!

Take care and be safe, Bill

I load for the 45 acp & a bunch of others. My 45 acp loads are usually with 200 grain 'plated RN' bullets or 200 grn home cast bullets(Lee 'TL' mold). My most used powder is Hodgdon Titegroup or Universal.

I agree with Bill for the choice of powder. Winchester 231 and Hodgdon HP38 are the same powder (the only difference is the labels), with the HP38 usually being cheaper. It seems to shoot a bit cleaner than the shotgun powders, but they are a good second choice.

I've shot a lot of reloads, but I'm a reloading novice. Now, if I can get my reloads to feed reliably....

About one round per magazine hangs up on the ramp about 1/2 way into the barrel. I have to manually remove the bullet, or force it in the rest of the way by applying pressure on the slide.

I've fired thousands of rounds, both factory and reloads (cast lead from another reloader) without having a feed problem, so I know the Colts aren't the problem.

I've cleaned the brass very well, loaded 230 grain FMJ bullets from Midway. The only thing I can figure out is the seating depth might not be quite right. The seating depth seems a bit too deep, but I've followed the specs in the reloading manuals (multiple ones, I've checked) for overall length.
I would think the overall length would be the same as 230 grain factory rounds, but the reloading specs call for a shorter round and that might be my problem.

I have reloaded for the .45 ACP. Fast to medium fast powders typically work best with this cartridge. Powders like Bullseye, Unique, Winchester 231, Accurate #2, Accurate #5. When loading use a taper crimp to hold the bullet as the .45 ACP head spaces on the case mouth.

In regard to OAL, If you load any hollowpoints with an exaggerated/deep opening stick with recommendations of the bullet manufacturer. Using the Speer Gold dot 230 GHP as an example, exceeding the recommended overall length by 1/1000 can cause feeding problems in some guns. I had it happen to me.

If the bullet profile is similar to 230 grain ball, you can probably load to SAAMI max overall length and not have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back