Reliable Garage Door Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Be a guinea pig for us and get a Ryobi opener at the Home Depot.
LOL just got back from HD and saw these. Stopped for about 1/2 second and kept walking.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Motherboard on a genie unit died after 6 months. Still debating whether to repair or replace with a different brand.
This is the problem I have had with my Overhead Door. Warranty for parts requires installer to come out. I think if you have the Genie they mail the parts. More do it yourself.

I had a 1/2 HP Genie that finally died a few months ago.

Replaced with the 1-1/4 HP Chamberlain. Love it! Was easy to hook up to the wifi, now I don't have to question whether I forgot it open or not. You can set all sorts of alerts for it too, I have one set that if it's open for more than 15 minutes, I get an alert on my phone. Works flawlessly. You can set it to auto close after a certain time too. Has a battery backup (works, I tried it) and a thermometer.

I don't have a "clicker" for the garage door for my Jeep, I just pull out my phone, click on the app (which reads my fingerprint), and click on it to open.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Your arms are more reliable than an automatic door opener, and they're hundreds of dollars cheaper.
Door openers make the doors and hardware last longer. I put them on my rentals and the doors are then trouble free.

We bought 3 screw-drive Genie openers when we built our garage in 2009. They've been trouble-free, and they do see a lot of use.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Those gears are nylon. They won't last long unless the balance is correct. I better get out and check mine again. Been a few years.

Indeed. There was a pile of white nylon fluff laying in the inside of the cover when I opened the unit up. The door opens/closes so nicely after the hundreds of dollars I've put into it in the past 5-6yrs, I never got around to replacing the nylon gears on the opener. Next torsion spring or cable failure, my plan is to replace the whole door. Current is from 1972 with many hardware upgrades and replacements over the years.

I had a brand new craftsmen I installed in my old place that got left behind when I moved, at my new place there was an older liftmaster, still going strong, I think its from about 2000 no issues yet, its 1/2hp and lifted my 18x8 oversize heavy wood door no problem, I just had the door replaced with a new steel insulated one and you can see the speed difference, the garage door guy was a bit skeptical that the 1/2hp would move it as fast as it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back