Registration DOES have it's upside...for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
The anti's mantra has always been that every illegal firearm was once a legal one, but the statistics have demonstrated time and time again that it's not us...the people who do the right thing.

50 thefts in 16 days was reported on the morning news, leading the Authorities to admit that maybe the database has been breached, telling the crooks what is where. (note maybe)

Antis out in full force now, with a new mantra.

"It's not too many people owning guns, it's people owning too many guns"..."what need does a single shooter have for 8 longarms and pistols".

Never considered that registration could provide a shopping list for the bad guys, but there you go !

Shannow:

I hope your fellow aussies are going to take matters into their own hands and not let a misguided government refuse to allow all citizens, not convicted of violent crimes, to carry or own as many firearms as they wish.

I was certain that up until very recent times (perhaps a few decades?) that in Australia owning guns was a right. Correct?

I was also under the impression that the same could be said for citizens in the UK ( Wales, Scotland, England, and N. Ireland), Canada, Republic of Ireland, and other former/present commonwealth nations.

Last edited:
Here people peruse the publicly available sex offender registry then go beat up rehabilitated persons.

Statutory rape gets you on the list, as can taking a whiz in a public alley.

The majority of those who do right will always be affected, in some way, large or small, by those who do wrong.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Here people peruse the publicly available sex offender registry then go beat up rehabilitated persons.

Statutory rape gets you on the list, as can taking a whiz in a public alley.

My gramma's neighbor had a 19 year old kid who was convicted of statutory rape after his 15 year old girlfriend's parents turned him in. After his conviction they changed their mind and decided to allow the relationship, so they got back together...while she was still younger than the age of consent. I don't think he grasped the severity of his actions, nor the risk associated with such temperamental, stupid parents who essentially ruined his life and then decided that he was an ok guy after all. He struck me as rather dim and was a wanna-be gangsta, but nice enough and respectful according to my gramma.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I was certain that up until very recent times (perhaps a few decades?) that in Australia owning guns was a right. Correct?

Sort of yes and no...

When I was a kid, in Victoria, anyone over 18 could have anything (bar military semis like AR15, L1A1, full auto etc. - could have AR15 in Northern Territory and Tasmania). We moved to Adelaide,and Dad had to get a licence, and hand in his semi-autor .22.

Living in Canberra, I had to be licenced, and registered, but SKS/SKK were still legit.

When I moved to this state, it was licence only, no registration.

1996, a nutter went beserk in Tasmania (*) with an AR15 that had been handed in during an amnesty in another state, which lead to the outlawing of all semi auto longarms, and pump action shotguns. Full licencing and registration, 4 yearly home inspections, and various levels of entrapment.

Naturally, gangs don't follow the rules...300 glocks found last year in gang violence, none of which were ever sold legally.

(*) PM me if you want a list of all of the "anomolies" that took place that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back