Redline oil only has 1900 miles in 13 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need to change it? I drive the car about 200 miles a month but much less in the winter months. I used to drive the car more often. It's an '08 Mazdaspeed3. The last oil change I decided to get an oil analysis - Redline 5/30 with about 6k miles and they suggest I try 5k miles, but it's been over a year and it might be two before I get to 5k!

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: builthatch
...and it might be two before I get to 5k!

That will be the perfect time to change. Drive on now will full confidence!

Thanks!

Are you guys joking with me or are you serious?! I fear I might have asked a dumb question and am getting trolled ; )

I looked around and haven't found info about time versus mileage re: drain intervals. I had initial concern because when you see, for instance, factory service manuals, they have a whichever comes first scenario of time or mileage, but then with oil analysis reports and synthetic oil FAQs, you never see anything regarding time, just mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pompadour
i would change it yearly regardless of how few miles you put on.

Thanks, but that's what I'm trying to avoid - arbitrary intervals. You know what I mean? It is what pushed me to get an oil analysis in the first place because I knew I was wasting good oil/money/time following arbitrary maintenance schedules. Not trying to be cross, just sayin'.

Thanks, but that's what I'm trying to avoid - arbitrary intervals. You know what I mean? It is what pushed me to get an oil analysis in the first place because I knew I was wasting good oil/money/time following arbitrary maintenance schedules. Not trying to be cross, just sayin'.

Heated garage or outside?

Originally Posted By: brandini

Heated garage or outside?

it's not heated, but it is insulated and attached. the way everything works out, the garage ends up never freezing in the winter (but close) and when it's hot, it as well is hot.

I'd suggest changing it out at the 2 year mark, too. I weight mileage and driving conditions a lot more heavily than time. One sure-fire way to find out whether you're good to go is to send a sample out for analysis now. I'd bet it shows you can go another year no problem.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
One sure-fire way to find out whether you're good to go is to send a sample out for analysis now. I'd bet it shows you can go another year no problem.

good point. very good point. thanks, i might do this as it will answer a question i've always had.

Use a cheaper oil and just change it once a year? Just a suggestion. If not then I think your fine like another poster said a uoa will help

What type of driving do you do? Do you drive it till the oil is fully warmed up then park it? Or are these short hops? If the car is driven as to fully warm up the oil then parked you should be fine. It's a good idea to get a UOA so you know for sure.

My BIL bought a mint 1999 Porsche Boxster in 2004. It had the factory fill of European Mobil 1 5W-40 factory fill for 5 years and 9,000 miles. Terry did an UOA and it came back still good. The previous owner didn't do short hops with the car. He used it like a Porsche should be driven, within the confines of NJ of course
smirk2.gif
. Of course the Boxster holds almost 9 quarts of oil which helps extend the OCI.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
What type of driving do you do? Do you drive it till the oil is fully warmed up then park it? Or are these short hops? If the car is driven as to fully warm up the oil then parked you should be fine. It's a good idea to get a UOA so you know for sure.

My BIL bought a mint 1999 Porsche Boxster in 2004. It had the factory fill of European Mobil 1 5W-40 factory fill for 5 years and 9,000 miles. Terry did an UOA and it came back still good. The previous owner didn't do short hops with the car. He used it like a Porsche should be driven, within the confines of NJ of course
smirk2.gif
. Of course the Boxster holds almost 9 quarts of oil which helps extend the OCI.

Whimsey

same here. i tend to bring the car out on sunny days, and when i have a particular trip planned...or just to cruise, but a trip nonetheless. as sad as it seems, those 200 miles a month during non-winter months translate to about 2-3 trips during that month. i use my mazda like a porsche should be driven, and, like your BIL, within the confines of NJ, haha!

thanks.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I agree with this. If the oil has generally reached full temperature when it's parked it will be fine to go 2 years in your case.

IMO this oil could easily go two years, and very likely 3 or 4. In fact, I hope you decide to push it to three years and get a UOA to prove that the oil is still going to be in good shape. A good friend of mine has a rare Pacific Green 97 Mustang Cobra convertible that he only drives about 500 miles a year or less and he has the same crankcase full of Redline 5w30 in it that he put in there about three years ago. I'm trying to convince him to do a UOA when he finally changes the oil! (I'd do the UOA myself but he lives in NJ, a little bit too far for me to just pop over there with one of my sample kits)
grin2.gif

thanks everyone for the insights!

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Nice car man! Pics? :)

prolly looks just like yours ; )

6c0ef353.jpg

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Aren't the turbo DISI motors known for crazy fuel dilution? A UOA would be really interesting to see.

Yes, VERY

UOA at 1 yr mark!

Also, I really don't like the new Speed3 look at all. If not for the 0% financing and $7k off on my '08 STI, I'd be driving a '09 Speed3 right now. Really nice, fun, unassuming car with tons of practicality! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back