REDLINE DIESEL OIL 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUESTION FOR ANY OIL GURU OUT THERE: BOUGHT SOME REDLINE DIESEL 15W-40 AND WAS GOING
TO USE IT IN A FORD 302 AND A FORD POWERSTOKE DIESEL(ONE OIL FOR ALL APPLICATIONS)
CALLED REDLINE AND IT WAS RECOMENDED NOT TO DO THIS BECAUSE OF THE HIGH DETERGENT LEVEL
IN THE OIL MIGHT CUASE SPARK PLUG FOULING IS THE GAS ENGINE. DID A VIRGIN SAMPLE ON
THE OIL AND THE ADDITIVE WERE MAGNESIUM 23 PPM, CALCIUM 3773 PPM,PHOSPHOROUS 1422 PPM,
ZINC 1654 PPM, AND MOLYBDNEUM 731 PPM. WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY COULD GIVE ANY
TECHNICAL PINIONS ON THIS ANSWER FROM REDLINE? THANKS FOR ANY FEEDBACK. MIKEYOILNUTT
grin.gif

If the Ford 302 doesn't burn lots of oil, you will be just fine. All oils contain Ca and Mg, so the only difference is the relative amount. I have run the Amsoil series 3000 diesel oil in my toyota and it did just fine. It uses 4300 ppm of Ca and 50 ppm of Mg, so the sulphated ash level is also high - about 1.4%-1.5%.

TooSlick

TooSlick, THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK. THE 302 DOES NOT BURN TO MUCH OIL SO I WILL USE THE REDLINE 15W-40. THAT AMSOIL SERIES 3000 5W-30 SEEMS LIKE AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT MEETING CI-4, SL, AND GF-3 RATINGS. MIKEYOILNUTT

Mikey,
I will be up front and state that I am not a fan of Redline 15W40. The main reason is cost of the oil, and lack of oil analysis by PSD users. I have not been able to find any so far. So if you are getting a good price and want to chart new waters, blessed on you. The trans and diff products get rave reviews however.

My personal pick for a dual use oil is the Schaeffer's 15W40 7000 semi-syn. It has a pour point of -41F, 10 TBN, 457F Flash and 1.35 Ash. Price is $3 on a $250 order with free shipping. Go to the analysis forum and see my results on this oil. I expect to go 10K after the next analysis/change with no bypass unit on this vehicle. Excellent oil with a great cost/performance ratio.

The Amsoil 5W30 HDD is indeed another choice for dual use, for a full synthetic, but the price to me doesn't justify any significant performance unless you are using extended drains with an external bypass filter. Excellent oil, top price, long time payback on cost/performance ratio. If cost is not a factor, dial 1-800-

59Vetteman, THANK'S FOR THE INFO. MAYBE I WILL TAKE THE REDLINE BACK. KINDA HARD TO ARGUE A COMPANY LIKE SHAEFFER'S THAT HAS BEEN MAKING EXCELLENT PRODUCTS FOR SO LONG. I KINDA BOUGHT INTO THE POLYOL ESTER BASESTOCKS AND EXTRA MOLY REDLINE HAS IT THINKING THAT IT MIGHT BE BETTER EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT HAVE ANY PROOF THAT IS DOES. I AM GOING TO HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THIS A LITTLE MORE. THANKS AGAIN, MIKEYOILNUTT

If I may, let me chime in here a little about the mis conception on quantity of moly in an oil.

Moly only plates where heat can activate it, example, around the piston, the rings may have an area that is more prone to friction than other areas of the ring, so where the friction is causing heat, that's where the moly is plated, same on the surface of the cam, where the valve or rocker arm meets the surface of the cam, is where the moly plates. It doesn't coat like zddp.

Now, understanding this, what you have is moly suspended in the oil and is only used where this heat causes it to activate therefore, the amount of moly being used is really only limited to those areas. So, one oil haveing 600ppms of moly vers another with 200, which has better coverage?,, both, because in most all cases, you will not see 200ppm of moly consumed and depleting the moly. So where is the other 400ppm of moly? still floating around. So just exactly is the extra 400ppm of moly doing for you or your oil? NOTHING for the oil, makes your pocketbook lighter. So, just because an oil is loaded up heavy amounts of moly doesn't make it better than one with less. M1 SS, is showing that 80ppms is doing a good job and not depleteing down all the way.

As for extended drains, I had posted an oil analysis for 22,500 miles on a gas engine using the 15w40, and also terry had one that showed a diesel pickup with 28,000 miles on the same oil. It is very capable to extend the drains on this oil. Also, it is API certified CI which most currently are CH rated. This means it is designated to run in the newer diesels that have the higher emission equipment on it as well as the older equipment.

Also, FYI, correction on price, wholesale is less than 3.00 per qt at 250 min order. 3.00 is avg retail price. Although, next time vetteman wants to order, I'll be more than happy to charge alittle more if it will make him feel better
grin.gif
(only kidd'n there tony!
grin.gif
)

BOB, THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION ON MOLY CONTENT. I LEARN SOMETHING NEW EACH DAY. AFTER PAY DAY THIS WEEK I MIGHT BE ORDERING SOME STUFF. THANKS AGAIN, MIKEYOILNUTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back