Redline 5w-30 5070 Miles 2008 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redline 5W30: 5070 miles on oil.

This is the second UOA on this particular truck taken at 33,743 miles on the engine.
A 1500 WT 5.3L J VIN Iron Block, Non-Flex, 3.73 Rear Axle.

Fourth Redline fill in a row.

Previous UOA numbers were @ 28673 miles.

Current/Previous

Iron 23 28
Copper 289 437
Tin 8 8
Lead 24 40
Chrom 2 2
Nickel 0 0
Alum 4 5
Titan 0 0
Silver 0 0

Calciu 2356 2475
Mag 17 16
Zinc 1540 1430
Phos 1179 1283
Bariu 4 6
Molyb 1278 1235
Antim 0 0

Silico 15 18
Sodium 50 66
Boron 10 10
Potas 0 0
Vanad 0 0

V40c 69.1 63.7
V100c 11.5 11.3
TAN 3.89 3.90
Flash 325 360
Oxid 170 172
NIT 13 14
KF 1010 602
TBN 2.5 1.9
Fuel 1.25 .876
Soot 0 0
Glycol 0 0
Visndx 163 174

Analysis done by Terry Dyson.
19.gif

The Pb is nothing to be concerned about. Typical with RL's aggressive chemistry. Redline is not the greatest long drain oil. It's built to handle a lot of heat & load. You could get similar or better results with other oils at a fraction of the cost considering your application. Redline uses no VII's in their oils and that is why even with high fuel the viscosity never drops.

Seeing the high copper gives me cause to do some copper corrosion tests with the versions of Red Line that use moly. I did it with Red Line 5W-40 that has no moly and saw no more corrosion than M1 5W-30 ESP caused.

I just have a feeling if that level of moly was in any way detrimental, Toyota and Honda wouldn't be specifying it. The Toyota 0W-20 is showing ~1200 ppm of moly in Dyson's analysis as well.

Red Line says the oil has 950 ppm of moly.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Seeing the high copper gives me cause to do some copper corrosion tests with the versions of Red Line that use moly. I did it with Red Line 5W-40 that has no moly and saw no more corrosion than M1 5W-30 ESP caused.

Saber went from the low moly 5w40 to the high moly 10w40 and the wear numbers shot way up. He had 3 consecutive 5w40 UOA's that were fantastic. And those are on a known oil beater. Then his high moly redline UOA, which was terrible.

I also did a run of the 10w40 on my car and was NOT impressed. Not scientific, but my car just didn't run very well after about 1k miles. It was also pitch black at only 600 miles and absolutely REEKED of gasoline.

So I think you may be right. This has been talked about before here and elsewhere, about too much moly actually causing issues. I think I read that after just 200 to 300 ppm of moly, it actually becomes an issue in terms of more wear.

I took a quart of the high moly 10w40 and added it to another oil to make a mix that made it have a good shot of moly, but not too much, and I'm having my most impressive run yet. Not by UOA but by the feel of the car, the oil's smell and color etc. I have closing in on 3k miles and the oil's not even half as dark as the Redline 10w40 at just 600. I also do not smell any fuel on the dipstick at all. I know it's not scientific, therefore not admissible, but just saying I feel it has performed a lot better.

But saber's UOA's do tell the story too. His numbers shot up. Can't wait to see his next UOA where he went back to the low moly 5w40 redline. If his numbers shoot back down, then I think the theory about too much moly holds some water.

p.s. I know that the color of an oil doesn't mean it's not doing it's job and protecting. But I just didn't like the fact that after 600 measly miles, in temperate weather, mostly highway, the oil was pitch black and smelled so bad of gasoline that it smelled like you were sniffing from a 5 gallon jug of it. Like I said, almost 3k on my new run and no gas smell at all and it's still a nice golden brown. This is also in the heat of the summer with more mods on the car and me driving it harder. Much harder!

I know one thing, I will never go above 300ppm of moly again. Don't get me wrong, I want some moly in my oil, but I'd like to have around 200ppm or so. Just enough to get the benefits from it, but not so much as it starts causing the issues.

Last edited:
spasm3, very insightful regarding the cam bearings. Under debate. Also, yes heavy work, heavy towing. Towing at max weight of 6800 lbs.

buster, spot on regarding what I am told of a very aggressive chemistry. Spot on regarding better wear protection for less dollars given the application.

BenGT99, correct on Redline stated moly count. A few things to remember:
a.) Redline will never commit to a level of any add in any formula.
b.) Cumulative use would increase count. If I discontinue use and use an oil with zero moly, next UOA would still show moly. As I had stated in my first UOA, I had two 12 quart cases. As mentioned above, fourth fill of Redline in a row.

I think i would do a run of rotella 5-40 synthetic t-6 especially if you are towing heavy loads, and see what the next uoa looks like. If its better then the redline is not up to the towing demands.

Last edited:
After 4 Redline runs in a row, with 33k miles on the truck, I should hope the engine is broken in, and not exhibiting 'first run' symptoms!

I'd get a different oil - Redline just isn't working here at all.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
It is foolish to spend the $$$ on syn oil only to change it at 5,000 miles intervals where is the benefit?

He is towing max loads, i would not run a dino oil for 5k with heavy towing!! ( well maybe rotella 15w40 dino).

You're right. I read that wrong. Sorry, it's been awhile since I seen it. I see now his numbers rose while he was still running the low moly 5w40 but have since went back down. My bad, apologies.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Steve S
It is foolish to spend the $$$ on syn oil only to change it at 5,000 miles intervals where is the benefit?

He is towing max loads, i would not run a dino oil for 5k with heavy towing!! ( well maybe rotella 15w40 dino).
Back to an old post but I would have to agree with you and even more so with a 15w-40 ! Considering the use or the truck. I am humbled as usuall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back