Not open for further replies.
1999 Honda ST1100
Water-cooled V4
Shared engine/trans. oil, wet clutch

Comments:
Redline 15W50 oil
Purolator automotive oil filter
2 stroke oil or MMO as a UCL.

Considering I ran this oil 12,000 miles, I think it looks pretty good.
This is the longest OCI I've run and I think the oil and the bike did very well with no detectable oil usage.

The Aluminum did spike up a bit and Blackstone noted that.

I filled the bike with Rotella 10W30 T5 this time and I 'll test that at 8,000 miles

Blackstone Labs Test results:

Oil..............Rotella 5W40........Mobil 1 15W50........Redline 15W50........Redline 15W50
Filter.............Bosch 3423?...........Bosch 3423............PL14610.............PL14610
Total Miles....127,052................135,020................143,045................147,107
Miles on oil....8,062...................8,024..................8,025..................12,087
Time on Oil..6 Mo...................6 Mo.....................6 Mo.....................8 Mo
Make up oil......0........................0.....................0.........................0
Aluminum...........7.....................9....................6...........................18
Chromium.........1.........................1.....................0........................0
Iron...........16.........................21........................11........................15
Copper............3......................5...........................5..........................7
Lead...........4.........................7...........................13.........................16
Tin.............0.........................1..........................3...........................1
Moly...........9..........................80..........................586.......................524
Nickel......1............................1.........................0............................0
Manganese......0......................0...........................0...........................0
Silver..............0.....................0...........................0...........................0
Titanium..........0......................0.........................0..........................0
Potassium.......3........................1........................3...........................2
Boron.........7.........................53........................29..........................25
Silicon........11.........................24.........................18.......................18
Sodium.............262....................109....................39.........................46
Calcium.......2722......................2284......................2625....................2405
Magnesium......92......................26.......................12........................11
Phosphorus..1051.......................994.......................1129....................987
Zinc..................1276..................1186..................1326.....................1174
Barium...............1......................0......................0.........................0

Flashpoint F...........390..................400..................395.....................430
Fuel.................... Antifreeze............ ??................... ??..................... 0....................... 0
Water....................0....................0....................0........................0
Insoluables..........0.2....................0.2....................0.3......................0.2
SUS Visc@210f....66.1....................73.3....................88.0...................89.3
cST Visc@100c...........11.91..............13.81..............17.50...................17.81
TBN.......................6.1..................5.7..................4.5....................4.0

Large spike in Al. I see this in RL quite often. Not sure what it is.

once again the stoners show how stoned they are!!!

50% more miles with 100% more aluminum. on a bike motor that now has 20k more miles. big whoop!
prove you didnt fan the clutch one more time or hammer the throttle 5 more. did ya hit the upper rpms more?

where is the comment that iron was the 2nd lowest? yet 50% more miles?

what about copper being not 50% more yet 50% more miles? where is the comment on that?

what about silicon being tied for 2nd? nice filtration btw!

when you get a report from the stoned, cross it out. you could ask 100 drunk monkeys for a report and get something just as logical.

monster flash, monster susvis, real analysis shows ALL wear at great values for a motor that is 147k (show me a car one this good at 147k!!!)

you have an awesome combo, stick with it!

since so many in the motorcycle world are terrified of moly in their m/c oil, did u notice any clutch slippage?
from reading SAE paper 961217 500ppm of moly at operating temps can cause some starter clutches to slip and 700ppm was a major problem.
they stated there was no main clutch slippage at either PPMs of moly.
did u notice any of this?
thanks.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
once again the stoners show how stoned they are!!!
where is the comment that iron was the 2nd lowest? yet 50% more you could ask 100 drunk monkeys for a report and get something just as logical.

what OA lab do u feel is good to use? do u have a list from best to worst? I have used blackstone and Oil Analyzers.
your not an X-stoner are u?
lol.gif

Thanks

Sunruh,

I’m really not sure what wear numbers would make me nervous. Maybe if they jumped above 100 I’d look for pieces of metal in the filter or floating in the oil :)

And I still haven’t tried the ST 15W40, maybe I’ll run that after this load of 10w30.

73Duster,

No, I didn’t see any clutch slip or starter issues with the moly.
My ST has always had a bit of clutch chatter just as I let the clutch out if I accelerate hard when the bike is cold. The clutch may have felt a little smoother with the Redline oil but then again 15W50 was a bit thicker than I normally run and a lot of this has to do with the way I ride the bike.
By the way, I ran some MaxLife 10W40 and Delo that also had moly in the 200 range with no problems.

The Redline worked great for me but I’m not too excited about the cost of the oil. So far, I think the HDEOs are the best bang for the buck.

Rick

redline an E$S$T$E$R$ based oil will cost more $$$ esters are the only lubricants that live in jet engines, i was considering 15-50 for my air cooled 1200 sportster and was wondering if it cranked any better than other REAL synthetic 20-50 oils in cooler weather like 30's at night and 40-50 at riding time a fall-winter afternoon

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
redline an E$S$T$E$R$ based oil will cost more $$$ esters are the only lubricants that live in jet engines, i was considering 15-50 for my air cooled 1200 sportster and was wondering if it cranked any better than other REAL synthetic 20-50 oils in cooler weather like 30's at night and 40-50 at riding time a fall-winter afternoon

group 4 syn oils (ie amsoil) and group 5 syn oils (ie redline) are a mixture of ester oils and polyolefins. straight ester base oils or straight polyolefins for that matter do not work well in internal combustion engines.
a little marketing miss direction by redline.

ST11s seem to all have a clutch growl of some sort. Mine does it some times, mainly when cold and the first corner or decent acceleration of the day, then you can do whatever you want. Most times no noise even under the same conditions. I have tried various oils, mainly HDEOs and castrol Edge 10W-60 synthetic most recently Clutch noise no different.

From what I have read, there is good and bad moly. Many bike oils have doses of moly, some not as much. By itself moly level does not seem to mean much. A JASO rating would be more objective.

whether 500 ppm of moly will effect your clutch , is on a case by case basis. If running on the slippery side of things your loble to have issue sooner, than using a strong clutch oil.

But I wouldnt write off moly as a no issue, even though motul has a high content moly oil thats MA rated . Running that oil, I had to do a internal motor mod , and had to remove the clutch plates. there was Black Moly paste spooge in some of the clutch plate crevices I didnt care to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back