Recommended ATF for 94 Ford 4 speed elec. auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with bad transmission shudder and hard shifts with bad slippage. Current fill in Mercon V as recommended by ford. I added 6oz of arx and ran about 1000 miles and it has made it much worse. I had added a few oz. of Lucas tranny fix which was a mistake. Before all of this I had the tranny totally flushed and refilled with the Mercon and it did help a little but then all came back. I am going to take it back to the garage and ask them to check the shifter sensor, throttle position sensor, and the wire harness that hooks into the tranny. I understand any of those parts not working could cause the symptoms above, or I just have a shot tranny. 132,000 miles f-150 four by four super cab with 351 windsor. I understand these transmissions are very finicky on the fluid they use. Before Mercon V it was just Mercon or Mercon sp around the 94 time range. This truck was used for towing before I bought it. Assuming it is just a sensor issue I am going to have to drain out the Mercon V with the auto-rx and the gunk it cleaned up. Should I use a type F fluid or a snythetic atf. Shudder is a real issue with those automatic 4 speed overdrives. I thought I had a external oil cooler but the fluid is just routed through the radiator for cooling. Any advice will help.

No not necessarily a mechanical issue without first checking sensors on the shift linkage the throttle sensor and the wiring harness input into the transmission body. My question is if it is a electrical issue what fluid would be best as long as it meets Mercon specs.

Red Oak we need to know whether you have the 4r100 or 4r70w transmission. Since you have said that you do not have a trans cooler you definetly need to get 1. Here is the problem with the radiator cooler, if the coolant in the radiator is real hot you are not going to get much cooling for the transmission, if you have the 4r100 I think Derale makes a pan with cooling tubes on the bottom and it does work, we also need to get you a magnet too. Remember 90% of all trans problems are from heat.

To answer your question on fluids, my 1st choice would be Amsoil ATF, 2nd choice would be Redline D4, both of these fluids can easily handle temperatures in the 200 degree range or a little higher.

I will have to check on the exact transmission number. I have done a bunch of research on ford forums and talked with a few transmission people and they say try to verify that the sensors that I mentioned are not bad first. When things settle down I am going to have that checked first rather than look at adding more expense without knowing if the common past issues known with these trannies is working or not. If the sensors are bad they say it makes the transmission slip which results in excess heat and shudder.

I just want to let you know that when you take a temp reading at the pan that this is not the hottest part of the transmission, from what I have seen it is either the torque converter or where the fluid is about to go into the cooler in the radiator, if I had to take a guess I think you have the 4r100 which I think is an updated AOD transmission.

Originally Posted By: RedOak
I understand these transmissions are very finicky on the fluid they use. Before Mercon V it was just Mercon or Mercon sp around the 94 time range.
I HOPE you didn't use Mercon SP in a 4R70W...
Quote:
Should I use a type F fluid or a snythetic atf.
DO NOT use Type F in either the 4R70W or the 4R100.

Trans Should be an E4OD (pre-99 version of the 4r100)A bad sensor will definately cause it to do funny things/not shift correct, ect., but it should not cause it to "slip" so to speak. If the pcm detects any trans slippage it will request full line pressure at the trans...causing your hard shifts. You should first pull any stored codes from the pcm and go from there.

Have you had a flashing O/D Off light? If you have, it means there is a transmission trouble code. Even if you don't have a light, check for trouble codes.

You may want to try a full synthetic ATF, like Mobil 1. Really, a full synthetic that meets or exceeds Mercon V specs is the only thing I would use other than Mercon V in that truck. Don't use Type F!

Transmission coolers are fairly cheap. You can get one for $40 or so new at any parts store or online. I would get one with your kind of driving. You may also want to look into a deep high capacity pan.

It is also possible that it is time for a rebuild. The truck towed without a transmission cooler, and is driven in the mountains, and on a lot of short trips. It has seen the worst kind of use short of plowing. If it does need a rebuild, there are tons of upgrades you can do to these transmissions.

Funny you ask 01rangerxl, the overdrive light has never flashed. Your are thinking exactly what I am going to do. First is have the pcm read for code issues. Funny think about the transmission if I go on a long interstate drive, when most of the time your truck is in overdrive every thing runs smoothly. When you put stress on the tranny that is when all the negatives raise their ugly heads. If a sensor is bad and that fixes my problems then I am going to add a external tranny cooler. It not just routed through the radiator for cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back