Recommendation For 2010 Audi A4 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout

My comment was based upon your notion of using a dino 5w30 in a 2.0T. I know there are non-spec synthetics that will work well. Having to drive gingerly due to a low HTHS oil is ludicrous though. It's a German car, drive it as such.

Which conventional oil were you using? Pennzoil Platinum...that's synthetic isn't it. Why then advocate using plant-matter oil in a 2.0T when you yourself weren't using it in a 2.8L VR6 and old 1.8T?
shocked2.gif
(of which those bear no resemblance to a 2.0T, so your UOAs don't apply)

I know for a fact those UOAs were NOT from lightly driven engines.

You are the one getting into an area where there is no data to support your claims, bear that in mind.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

My comment was based upon your notion of using a dino 5w30 in a 2.0T. I know there are non-spec synthetics that will work well. Having to drive gingerly due to a low HTHS oil is ludicrous though. It's a German car, drive it as such.

Which conventional oil were you using? Pennzoil Platinum...that's synthetic isn't it. Why then advocate using plant-matter oil in a 2.0T when you yourself weren't using it in a 2.8L VR6 and old 1.8T?
shocked2.gif
(of which those bear no resemblance to a 2.0T, so your UOAs don't apply)

I know for a fact those UOAs were NOT from lightly driven engines.

You are the one getting into an area where there is no data to support your claims, bear that in mind.

Who is the one making claims with no data? Trying to use UOAs from totally different engines...
shocked2.gif

So why didn't you use plant-matter oil in the 1.8T and 2.8 VR6?

Folks, don't try and use a dino oil in a car that requires synthetic. Unless you like coked rings and failed turbochargers.
21.gif
Deposits are for bank accounts, not engines.
45.gif

You are the only person talking about dino oil....however,

I'm pretty sure dino 15w-40 HD protects the turbo diesel engines it was designed for, as well as the gas engines it was designed for too.

A car "requiring" synthetic oil, is meaningless, as that "requirement" simply concerns oci length. Extended drain = synthetic oil. Non-extended = normal spec oil.

Give it some time Bob, you'll catch on.

Who is the one making claims with no data? Trying to use UOAs from totally different engines...
shocked2.gif

So why didn't you use plant-matter oil in the 1.8T and 2.8 VR6?

Folks, don't try and use a dino oil in a car that requires synthetic. Unless you like coked rings and failed turbochargers.
21.gif
Deposits are for bank accounts, not engines.
45.gif

Uhh, these examples are Euro engines run on non-spec oil, wasn't that the subject at hand? They are indeed "data".

The "plant matter" oil isn't beneficial in those engines, at least there isn't any data on it in them. To the contrary, there is data showing it's NOT needed. That is evidence in itself.

I won't even comment on that last section of your rant, it speaks for itself.

Originally Posted By: agam
the subie turbos eat oil quite a bit as well. i'd suggest looking into shell rotella t6 5w40

btw- doesn't Subaru spec dino oil?

So, what you're saying is, don't drive over 60 MPH, exceed 3000 RPM, exceed 1000*F on EGTs, or half go-pedal. I'm sure someone with a 2.0T will do exactly that.
lol.gif

Folks, use the right oil, don't cheap out. This is not some run-of-the-mill 4-pot. VAG really does know better than anyone else in this case.

Nobody said anything about how to drive. In fact, the UOAs from the two drivers WHOM I KNOW show their driving style is a non-issue.

Furthermore, nobody said anything about being cheap. Changing with 15w-40 every 3k in fact is more expensive than full-length OCIs on spec oil.

You seem to prefer posting over reading.

I'm pretty liberal with using different oils in different apps.

I think most any oil works in any app. It's just a matter of optimising for seasons and trip length etc. As long as someone does no damage, it's just a matter of finding appropriate oci and you're done.

TDI 505 service is one app where I think spec oil is more necessary, but you probably know more about it than me.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Originally Posted By: agam
the subie turbos eat oil quite a bit as well. i'd suggest looking into shell rotella t6 5w40

btw- doesn't Subaru spec dino oil?

Subaru does spec dino oil, which would be fine, but they also spec energy conserving/gf-4 oils which is not fine. The speculation among the community is this was done purely for CAFE reasons.

Turbo Subies turn energy conserving 5w30 dino oil into 20wt in ~1,000 miles. At least that's what my WRX did to the factory fill (supposedly Nisseki Mitsubishi 5w30) and Havoline DS, both within 1,300 miles. The first oil I tried which held up was Pennzoil High Mileage which of course is not energy conserving.

The clue from the factory that thicker oil is preferred comes in the form of recommendations for track days and auto-x. Subaru recommends changing the oil immediately before and immediately after such an event. Also, the manual recommends 10w40 or 10w50 for heavy duty use.

5w40 Rotella is just a community favorite for all around use given its good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back