Recommend me an oil for a car that's driven 1k a week.

name brand 5w30 syn. Gdi engine. I probably would try 6000-8000miles and a UOA to see whats happening.

Not a big fan of 10w30 in the winter.. OHIO can be mostly 20's in the winter but the high is -2f in a couple days.

Ideally I would probably run 5w30 or 5w20 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer

New member that doesnt hiding location with this as a first post makes me feel this is possibly troll-y

I agree with madeej11’s suggestion of a good, full-synth 10W-30.

A 10W vs. a 5W will have less viscosity modifier and a better Noack rating, which should keep the engine cleaner.

Less VM also means a thicker base oil, and less shearing.

And with low temps in the 20s, you won’t come close to testing the cold pumpability of a good synthetic 10W-30.

I used Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 with no issues in my 2016 WRX over the 3-year period I owned it. And that car was TGDI with lots of fuel dilution.

Sounds like you depend on your vehicle for a job? Oil changes are only one part of a preventative maintenance program. If you change your oil every 10-15k miles, the car is going that long between inspections....which is not a good thing.

TRC --TEXAS REFINERY - 10w30 Pro Spec with MOLY-- run it 12,000 No Problem if not more.

This oil had a base number of 15 with 1400ppm of zinc....how many have that ?

Take advantage of their Free Wear analysis kits to ensure your protection and to back up the quality of the Oil.

If you are serious get a hold of STEVEISTHEOILGUY .COM ALSO A VIEDO ON YOUTUBE for STEVE IS THE OIL GUY

?

M1 0W40 or Edge 0W40 or PP-Euro 5W30, all A3/B4 full synthetics with MB 229.5 and Porsche A40.

Given your oil is long tripped, 8-12 hours per day non stop, 50:50 city highway, then I would go at least 10,000 miles and take an oils sample for a UOA (eg Blackstone). You will probably find the oil is still good. I wouldn’t be surprised if you can go 12,000 or even 15,000 miles after a few UOAs to check. Back it up with a synthetic media oil filter that can go the distance.

1k miles per week is a lot, you don’t want to be dumping good oil, changing too early.

I would say you are an excellent candidate for extended oil change intervals -- except for the GDI aspect, since GDI engines are usually rough on motor oil.

However your vehicle and driving style may allow for longer intervals. A series of 3-4 UOAs will tell you if you can run longer. Without a UOA it is sheer speculation how long your interval should be.

A quality off the shelf oil will work fine, and if the UOAs show you can go longer, then you may want to consider Schaeffer or Amsoil as they are designed for extended service.

However if the UOAs show that the oil is taking a beating and needs to he changed more often, I'd go with ST Synthetic or some other low cost quality oil.

Either way, a Fram Ultra changed at 20,000 mile intervals would be my plan.

As far as viscosity, agree with using a 5w- or 10w-30.

Frankly this use scenario warrants a UOA for reasons of economy Potentially he could be doing 12-15K OCI with Mobil1 EP/Castrol 20K oils if fuel dilution isn't indicated, otherwise 6-8K OCI with Kirtland etc if it is. JMO.

Longtime lurker here!

I have a 2016 Hyundai Accent with the 1.6 Gamma GDI engine with 125,000 miles currently on the clock. Manual says I can put anything from 5w20-10w30 in it. Euro/Oz manual says anything from 5w30 to 20w50 in the same engine so I imagine it wouldn't be picky.

Wear protection and longevity trump fuel economy. It's usually cold started once daily and runs for 8-12hrs non stop about 50/50 city highway miles and it's driven hard, regularly sees redline.

What say you?
A friend would like to know who changes your oil now? No reason for a sane person to be driving an engine at redline if you want it to last.

You live in New England and the coldest it gets here is low 20’s? When, in March?? Lol.

We just went through two straight weeks of 10-18 degree weather here. And this is considered a “warm winter”. There have been winters around here where seeing 20 degree weather feels like a heatwave. Never mind the windchill and snow.

I‘d run a nice name brand synthetic 5w30 and I wouldn’t do extended drains. Maybe 6,000 miles or so. Technically you are driving in harsh weather conditions in New England from late November till March. Especially if you park outside overnight. And if you’re driving in Boston, you’re definitely doing some harsh driving...you have to redline that thing at almost every intersection just to get in and out of traffic. God I hate driving in Boston...honestly, think I’d rather drive in New York City than Boston. Good luck! Love high mileage stories.

A friend would like to know who changes your oil now? No reason for a sane person to be driving an engine at redline if you want it to last.
Myself. Read quoted post below to see why I must utilize full RPM lol.
You live in New England and the coldest it gets here is low 20’s? When, in March?? Lol.

We just went through two straight weeks of 10-18 degree weather here. And this is considered a “warm winter”. There have been winters around here where seeing 20 degree weather feels like a heatwave. Never mind the windchill and snow.

I‘d run a nice name brand synthetic 5w30 and I wouldn’t do extended drains. Maybe 6,000 miles or so. Technically you are driving in harsh weather conditions in New England from late November till March. Especially if you park outside overnight. And if you’re driving in Boston, you’re definitely doing some harsh driving...you have to redline that thing at almost every intersection just to get in and out of traffic. God I hate driving in Boston...honestly, think I’d rather drive in New York City than Boston. Good luck! Love high mileage stories.
Yes I really hate Boston and all it's idiot drivers. I've lived and driven many places but the traffic here truly is the worst. This is third winter here so maybe I have gotten lucky weather wise.

Whats the oem prescribed oil interval for this car/engine?
A quick google search says its 10k ocis for syntethic oil.
With driving such long distances the oil gets up to temp nicely and i would probably stick to 10k oci. (approx 5 times a year)
If these engines are not know for any factory faults like sensitive to sludging or cam scoring etc.. this should not harm the engine in any way.
If they are sensitive to this however i would definatly shorten it.
You can always send an oil sample to see how its holding up and go on from there.

I personally use shell helix in my car (penzoil in us) its reasonably priced and factory filled by a lot of manufacturers (so must be good enough). Also by hyundai if i am not mistaking.

I would also tend to 5w30 with factory approval specs.

Live in New England
I would avoid 10W oils then. I'm in Ohio and only old-school folks with older vehicles seem to use 10W-anything - everyone else will be using 5W. It gets cold enough here though not NE cold. It's 18º F at the moment and is supposed to drop down to 10-12º F this evening. It gets colder at times too with sub-zero temperatures (not wind chill either) often enough.

Myself. Read quoted post below to see why I must utilize full RPM lol.

Yes I really hate Boston and all it's idiot drivers. I've lived and driven many places but the traffic here truly is the worst. This is third winter here so maybe I have gotten lucky weather wise.
LOL well I can tell you've never driven in Japan I've driven in Massachusetts compared to Japan its a peace of cake!

Back