Recomend an oil for me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2005 Nissan Titan with 51,000 miles. I bought it new and have always changed the oil (dino so far) at 3k to 4k mile intervals. I'm looking for an oil that works well in this engine. I've read on this site and a few Nissan Titan sites that this engine is hard oil - shearing ? The owners manual calls for 5W-30 oil. Would a synthetic be better for the shearing issue ? I would like to start extending the oil change interval if possible.

Has anyone tried 8K intervals on Pennzoil Platinum in these engines ? I'm considering this oil because I've read good things about it and Wal-mart sells it for $20/5qts.

I run PP in my 2005 Tundra 4.7 I change my oil once a year. Reguardless of mileage. Thats just how I do it..... WD

I think you can go out to 5,000 with PYB. If you want to go out to 8,000+ then Mobil 1, Pennzoil Planinum or Vavloline Synthetic.How far out you can go with any oil depends so much on your driving profile.

I would go with Rotella-T Synthetic 5W40 or Mobi-1 Truck SUV 5W40 my third choice would be M1 0W40. I would not worry about shearing unless it effects the wear number's. Some oils like M1 0W40 and RTS 5W40 will sometimes shear easily in some applications. If the oil still produces good wear numbers and and nice clean engine in spite of the shearing then the shearing is not an issue that is worth worrying about. On the other hand some engines like Audi's direct injection models do not like any oil that shears easily and their wear rates are often affected by the shearing so in those applications the oils ability to resist shearing is a valid point to worry about. You follow me.

If you want to improve fuel economy and cold start performance go with a 0W40 or 0W30 by Mobil-1....If you want to get the wear numbers as low as possible for as cheap of a price as possible and still have about the same cold cranking and flow numbers as you currently have go with RTS-5W40!

The engine in that titan usually produces good wear number regardless of shearing.I would probably try the 0W40 or 0W30 by M1 first and see what you get!First though consider dropping a sample of what is in their now so you have something to compare too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
You could step up to Amsoil SSO 0W-30 and at least triple the 4K OCI. Amsoil SSO Link

I drive about 12 to 13,000 mile a year. Would I be able to get away with once a year oil changes ? I really don't do any "severe service" driving. I read some posts on a Nissan Titan forum and this seems to be a popular oil with the fellow Titan owners.

Mobil 1

Your engine will never suffer with this oil; reguardless of their different blends. Industry standard when it comes to full synthetic oil.

Factory fill includes many high-end exotics; Dodge Viper, Mercedes, Porsche, etc...

That drastically depends...some M1 is great...others not so much. My wrx would turn M1 5w30 into 5w10 in 1k miles :). 0w40 is a solid lube however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back