Rear main seal replacement

I‘m on the fence about buying a new car in this current climate. My current car is a 06 Acura TL with 161K miles. I pretty much had 90% of the oil leaks fixed in the last five months. The seals I replaced were oil pump, spool valve, valve covers, cam plugs, cam seals, crank seal, oil pan. The only item left is the rear main seal which is leaking. The shop that did all the other work charges $1140 for this job. They said it’s a 9-10 hour job. I have read the whole sub frame has to be dropped to remove the transmission from the engine on this car. It’s amazing all this work for a $30 o-ring. $1200 is roughly 2 months of payments on your typical new car these days. If I‘m planning to keep the car, I need to fix this problem. All I read is the Honda J series engines will last 300K no problem, the transmission is another story.

Can you live with the leak ?
I'm living with rear main seal leak on my Tahoe with 220k.
Figure I'll replace it if transmission ever needs rebuilt.
Just get a oil spot in garage and loss abut 1 quart every few months

Depends on how much it leaks. My old ML320 had main seal leak, needed to add 1/2 qt every 2,500-3,000 miles, did that for 4 years, no big deal to save $1,200. The ML320 had 235,000 miles when I sold it after 20 years of ownership.

I had the exact same 2006 TL, sold it in the summer of 2020 when it had 110,000 miles. It never developed any leaks at all, just tired of having in for almost 15 years.

My mom has had 2 Accuras and both were rather not very impressive quality wise,

On rear main seal leaks I generally start by asking the customer how much oil the car is leaking and how much an oil spot where they park bothers them, The price for the rear seal is fair, If its only using a quart between changes I wouldnt recommend fixing it unless the leak really bothers you or I was in the area for something else.

Is it dripping on the ground or just seeping in that area? I would use 5w30 Valvoline Maxlife red bottle and call it a day. Change around 6mos./5k miles. Probably change pcv valve with an OEM one as well.

Last edited:
It drips on the ground. I did buy the AT-205 and it didn’t seems to reduce or stop the leak. I did change out the PCV valve with an aftermarket one months back.

You should feel good you fixed all the other leaks.

I would try using a High Mileage Oil in as thick a viscosity as possible.
Give it some time and see if it helps.

In the meantime, place a Drip Tray underneath it so it can be monitored and won't stain any concrete.
Parking in garage is better so tray won't fill with rainwater.

My civic did not have a rear main seal leak, but it did have the oil pump seal leak, which required removing the timing belt, oil, pan, oil pump. The work was extensive to replace the $1 part. I did decide to do it though, only because I felt like a lowlife rude person. I had taken the car to an Airbnb home, parked it on the driveway. The car left a small oil puddle on my host's driveway. After that, I could not stand to make a mess wherever I took the car. So I fixed it, and no more leaks.

When I had the oil pump resealed, I also had the water pump and timing belt replaced since they had to be remove those parts for the oil pump service. The timing belt was replaced 60,000 miles ago but it was still a no brainer to replace it again.

The rear main seal is attached to a plate on the rear of the engine. The plate has sealant and there is also an o-ring (in addition to the rear main seal) on the upper portion. If you proceed with the job, make sure your shop reseals this plate, replaces the o-ring and replaces the rear main seal. Otherwise you might end up doing it again.

No additive I have ever tried to stop a rear main seal leak has worked. Either live with it and add oil as needed, or bite the bullet and replace the seal.

(Ditto for leaks in cooling systems, too. No additive I have tried worked for that either, and some of those products can plug everything and cause overheating.)

Buy another car, fix yours yourself with no stress to get it done, then decide what to keep.

Oh, subframe. Hmm. LOL try some stop leak. 😁

No additive I have ever tried to stop a rear main seal leak has worked. Either live with it and add oil as needed, or bite the bullet and replace the seal.

(Ditto for leaks in cooling systems, too. No additive I have tried worked for that either, and some of those products can plug everything and cause overheating.)
I've had great luck with Bar's for cooling systems but it can clog heater cores

This worked for me when other products did nothing.

I'm a believer Got it on Amazon

Back