Rear drive manual shifter

So, I have a 2019 Fiat 124 Spider with a manual. I got it used and shortly after I got it, I've had some issues with it, such as a buzzy shifter stick, and the thing where the stick moves under torque. Now I asked on the forums about it, and some people don't know what I'm talking about really. My question is, is the stick supposed to vibrate and move under torque, such as pulling away from a stop?

So, I have a 2019 Fiat 124 Spider with a manual. I got it used and shortly after I got it, I've had some issues with it, such as a buzzy shifter stick, and the thing where the stick moves under torque. Now I asked on the forums about it, and some people don't know what I'm talking about really. My question is, is the stick supposed to vibrate and move under torque, such as pulling away from a stop?
Stick moving under torque? Engine or transmission mounts.

Longitudinal mounted engines will rock a bit side to side under torque, and this will cause the transmission and standard shifter (not auto shifter) to move side to side as it's bolted to the transmission.

I'm not familiar with the Fiat 124 but my 2006 Mustang GT has done this since new, and 2001 cobra does it and so had my 77 trans am, 91 f150.

The vibration is caused by the transmissions vibration being transmitted through the shifter to the cabin, it's a trade off between a firm shifter feel and noise or a sloppy shifter feel and less vibration and noise. After market shifters will usually give more vibration and noise, some come with a rubber insert that mounts between the shifter body and the stick to reduce this.

Now it could be moving more due to worn out mounts like edyvw said, but it's normal for some movement and vibration longitudinally mounted engines. Hope this helps.

Have you asked on the Mazda MX5 forums aswell?

They sold more of those and there might be a better chance of somebody having the same issue on there.

Longitudinal mounted engines will rock a bit side to side under torque, and this will cause the transmission and standard shifter (not auto shifter) to move side to side as it's bolted to the transmission.

I'm not familiar with the Fiat 124 but my 2006 Mustang GT has done this since new, and 2001 cobra does it and so had my 77 trans am, 91 f150.

The vibration is caused by the transmissions vibration being transmitted through the shifter to the cabin, it's a trade off between a firm shifter feel and noise or a sloppy shifter feel and less vibration and noise. After market shifters will usually give more vibration and noise, some come with a rubber insert that mounts between the shifter body and the stick to reduce this.

Now it could be moving more due to worn out mounts like edyvw said, but it's normal for some movement and vibration longitudinally mounted engines. Hope this helps.
It’s just a better looking Mazda MX5, I was always surprised it sold so badly in the UK, as it looks better than the MX5, only IMHO.

I have seen 1, and that’s it.

Here's how you stop that.

leash-from-front.jpg

The engine/transmission assy moves on rubber mounts. The shifter is attached to the top of the transmission, which moves.

Cable shifters are different in this regard. A front wheel drive car with a cable operated shifter will be steady.

Hard to know if this is genius, or the preamble to a disaster.
That pic is from 2018 and it's only been tightened once after the initial install. Here's how I did a FWD V8. Never had to replace any motor mounts.

retention_chain_2.jpg

Back