Real world tests to show Amsoil is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil is the best at one thing: Marketing. They have to be. They make some stellar products, but they also make some mediocre products too. I've used them off and on in several vehicles. They are high in perceived value but I question what the ROI is. When you factor in an annual PC membership plus shipping costs, their products price themselves out of the market. Especially given how good the last 2 API categories have gotten, it's getting harder and harder to justify their benefits.

On either oil don't run your oil longer than it can handle, take care of things like the intake plumbing or PCV system, run a good filter, and I bet 99% of the time something other than engine wear will send that vehicle to the scrapper. What more do you need?

Originally Posted By: stchman
I don't want this to degenerate into a holy war of lubricants and I have to put on my flame retardant suit.

I'm surprised that you even started this thread, considering that you've been here for almost 2 years, so you know pretty darn well where threads like this end up.

I am totally in agreement with you by the way. But what you're doing is just pouring gasoline onto open fire. Hope your suit holds up.

This thread sucks!
45.gif

Personally I think it is wrong to single one brand over another
when it comes to marketing, whether it be engine oils
or vacuum cleaners.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
or vacuum cleaners.

I just said Amsoil because of the almost religious zealotry to their products.

or vacuum cleaners.

You a Kirby salesman or something?

or vacuum cleaners.

In that case, I put it to you that you are intent upon trolling.

If I drive 25-30k mostly highway miles a year with a good/clean engine I would use Amsoil SS with good oil filter such as Fram Ultra and do 1 year OCI. But none of my car is driven more than 12-13k miles a year, any name brand synthetic is good for 1 year.

For transmission and gear fluid Amsoil may be the one to go to.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If I drive 25-30k mostly highway miles a year with a good/clean engine I would use Amsoil SS with good oil filter such as Fram Ultra and do 1 year OCI. But none of my car is driven more than 12-13k miles a year, any name brand synthetic is good for 1 year.

Any synthetic is good for one year, yes, but you want less acids and better oil quality (lubricity, wear) from start to finish of a 1-year oil change. Therefore, it always makes sense to use an Ext Perf oil or Amsoil SS since its built to hang in there longer.
In other words, do you just want your oil to barely make it, or still be looking good at the end of a long oil change interval? Oil wears out gradually, not all of a sudden.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ronp
Any other synthetic that doesn't post elevated wear in uoas like m1 does.

You're assuming that a cheap UOA is a good tool for measuring wear, which it is not.

Please provide some examples where engines died prematurely because they were lubricated with M1 oil.

Or maybe some of the stories of engines grenading after having a "good UOA"...

This is what I've learnt about Amsoil.

1) It often doesn't have the same certifications.

2) I've seen people adamant that that's a bad thing and that you're wasting your money to pay more for something that doesn't have the certifications. To the point of mocking someone who wants to run Amsoil oils instead of certified oils.

3) Then I've seen the same people extoll the virtues of Amsoil ATF because of personal experience.

4) That's despite Amsoil ATF not being certified, costing twice as much as certified ATF's, and experts regularly questioning whether a non certified ATF can meet multiple specifications

Yep, there's a lot of disagreement about Amsoil, even amongst the same person!

A friend of mine keeps preaching the Amsoil gospel to me saying that I need to run Amsoil or my vehicle will not last as long.

I have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 for years on my vehicles because:

1. More available than Amsoil
2. Costs less than Amsoil
3. Has dexos certification(since I own a GM)

I have asked Amsoil reps to show me REAL WORLD PROOF that Amsoil is better than Mobil 1, and all I get is testimonials and 4 ball wear tests [censored]. The documentation also shows that Amsoil is better than conventional oil, but not better than other manufacturer's synthetics.

I maintain that Mobil 1 and Amsoil are about on the same quality level and IF Amsoil had some magic elixir in the bottle the other makers would have found it out and started doing the same.

I maintain that if you do the maintenance required by the manufacturer at the intervals specified by the manufacturer, the components will give you years of trouble free use.

I don't want this to degenerate into a holy war of lubricants and I have to put on my flame retardant suit.

When your friend and/or Amsoil can prove their oil is the best, tell them to post it here. There's a lot of members, myself included that would love to see it. Dealer hype is just that dealer hype.

If you are making a small amount of oil to sell, you have to make it "magic elixir" or no one would buy it. There was a guy where I worked who was an Amsoil sales person or rep, whatever they are. What a pain he was, though I ended up ordering a bypass system from him eventually. They just wear you down with the magic of their products. I never used the stuff and donated it to Goodwill some years later. I stick to a big company like Mobil or Shell, etc now. Warren is OK too.
I did recently go down an oil filter path with a small company, but that is over since the ADBV valve doesn't open unless the element moves up against the coil spring. That was a major design problem I avoided, sticking to the brand names now. Maybe people who come to an oil site are more prone to buy specialized products.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
or vacuum cleaners.

In that case, I put it to you that you are intent upon trolling.

Not at all.

If there would be some REAL WORLD test that show Amsoil is indeed better than Mobil 1, I would buy it. Amsoil appears to be king of the lab, but I drive my vehicle in the real world, not a lab.

Ya amsoil should just get their better products certified and sale in the stores like all the others. They could just switch Their ss line and xl lines to grp 3 base oils like m1 and the rest and make more money selling in mass quantity at a lower price.

Or at least put their oe line in stores such are already probably on par with the others.

Last edited:
Mobile1 is mostly. Hydrcracked grp 3 oil base. Ofcourse Amsoil is superior and all group 4 base oil but unless u wanna installing a bypass system its gonna get contaminated just as fast and need changed. Of course you'll have to do the uoas or go crazy with concern with extended amsoil ocis. So I don't think its wort it. Dino at 5k oci offers me the best piece of mind and affordability. Or you could run a cheap synthetic like supertech for 7500 and be fine. Mobile1 isn't all that from what I've seen. Better synthetic oils out there for same price range.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
. 5. What oil is better than Mobil 1 for the price and what criteria are you using to claim "better"? Name some and give prices and details. 6. How does a bypass filtration system remove the "contamination" better than a stock filter said:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/graemlins/grin.gif[/IMG]

You do know that a used oil analysis isn't an accurate measure of wear right.
So your post is absolute nonsense and if you actually believe that you really have no business here.
Jmo

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Any synthetic is good for one year, yes, but you want less acids and better oil quality (lubricity, wear) from start to finish of a 1-year oil change. Therefore, it always makes sense to use an Ext Perf oil or Amsoil SS since its built to hang in there longer.
In other words, do you just want your oil to barely make it, or still be looking good at the end of a long oil change interval? Oil wears out gradually, not all of a sudden.

This makes no sense to me
Dumping serviceable oil is ridiculous

Ya amsoil should just get their better products certified and sale in the stores like all the others. They could just switch Their ss line and xl lines to grp 3 base oils like m1 and the rest and make more money selling in mass quantity at a lower price.

Or at least put their oe line in stores such are already probably on par with the others.

You need to brush up on mobils PDFs because your idea of basestocks is incorrect and to be honest it's not even relevant.
A single component a formulation does not make. So focusing on one parameter like basestock is a fools errand and shows that you don't have even a basic understanding of how a lubricant works.

This is the most logical post so far. If you own a vehicle that you put 25k highway miles a year on it is absolutely beneficial to use something like SS.

The truth is both amsoil and M1 blend great oils. Since amsoil buys their base stocks from Exxonmobil you can be assured the base stocks are top notch. When buying amsoil the consumer is paying a premium for the more robust additive package amsoil SS offers.

OP if you want a group iii oil similar to Mobil 1 the OE and XL lines are not really anymore expensive. Preferred customer prices are less than $5 a quart.

IMO amsoil gear oils are the best, they are also not anymore expensive than any other synthetic gear oil.

If you've checked Exxon/Mobil is a bit larger. In fact Amsoil buys some of their stocks from that vary company. As of June 1, 2015 Exxon/Mobil is worth close to $450 billion dollars according to a London financial group. They could buy Amsoil out of their petty cash drawer.

Amsoil is sticking to their business plan and staying in their carefully crafted marketplace because they could not possibly compete in a larger or global market place.

Forget the oil for a moment and consider that Amsoil is well funded and doing well in tough times. When your skin is at risk you tend to stick with something that works and Amsoil is doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back