Real benefits of synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering making the switch to sythethic. The current sale Napa is running on their brand synth has me wondering if there really are any benefits to synthetic. Does it really add HP or an increase in perceived additional power? Does it really improve MPG and provide for better cold starts? Is synth really all that good or is it just hype or personal preference?

I had been using Maxlife and 2 OCI's ago I changed to the NAPA brand HM 10W30, and have always used ProSelect filters with a 3000 mile OCI. I have had no problems but if synth really is all that much better I might change my ways. If I went to synth I would probably use a Napa Gold filter and go to a 5000 mile OCI.

I have 103,000 miles on my truck, it's a 2001 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 V6. Is it OK to switch from dino/synth blends to full synth at that mileage?

I'm sure all this has been asked before and I tried a search on it, but did not have much luck with it. I appreciate the help.

This is from another thread and just my expeerience and opinion.

I got to have a lengthy discussion with the chemistry professor from a near-by college. It was very enlightening, and he has access to some very nice equipment.

Consider that synthetic base oil is "designed" to be a lubricant base and conventional is "adapted" to be a lubricant base.

Synthetics do have the molecular, equal size, structure that lets it flow better. It flows better not just at low temperatures, it flows better at all temperatures. That is something of special importance to me.

Synthetics withstand high temperatures better than conventional. Not just the high temperatures from the race track or towing a heavy load, but also the high temperatures, many localized, just from coming off the stop light in a spirited manner, hitting the passing gear and getting around that fool. That may not really effect the sump temperature but localized temperatures can go rather high.

Synthetics have much less potential to form sludge, varnish, or other engine deposits.

Synthetics require fewer, and in some cases no, Viscosity Index Improver's. It stays in grade better/ longer, shears less.

Since 1990, myself, my wife, our 2 daughters and their husbands, have over 2,000,000 miles on just one brand and one grade of synthetic, so I do have experience with synthetic. The vehicles include GM, Chrysler, Ford, VW, Mitsubishi, Kia, Toyota, and DaeWoo. They include everything from I4, 2 valve, push rod all the way to twin dual OHC SPFI, multi-valve. Engines that never exceed 2,000 RPM to engines that regularly see 6,000 RPM. NONE of these engines ever used a drop of oil, none leaked or seeped, no engine noises, never an engine problem, always better than EPA mileage estimates. I tried to figure an average mileage, including vehicles in use today, and I came up with 164,888. Of course that number changes daily with use.

I have been told that I could have done the same thing with a top shelf conventional. I don't know. I do know that I did do that with a synthetic. I use the synthetic because I think it is the best option. If you consider that we now have three 2008 vehicles than bring the average down, we have an average 164,888 miles before sell/trade. I am satisfied and very comfortable.

I absolutely believe that "conventional" oils are getting better. I believe that improvements in refining will turn what we call conventional today into very near gp III synthetic. I think we are going to see more and more engines that require "synthetic" oil. I think we are also going to see a lot of base oils that are not related to petroleum in any way.

Just my experience, opinion, and preference.

Everything you assume & ask is yes & it is okay.

But, syn it only really a gain for those with high-perf motors, those who want to go longer OCI (over 5k), those who live in freezing cold temps, those with turbos, etc...

The real gain in MPG seems to come from syn gear oils in the diffs, manual trannies, x-fer cases, etc.

I have used syn for 8yrs, but this site has given me a new appreciation for the capabilities of dino and I'd guess you'd be fine upping your OCI on dino to 4-5k without syn as long as your motor isn't using oil.

IF YOU HAVE ANY LEAKS, syn COULD make them worse...but otherwise no issues switching between dino & syn.

I`ve seen absolutely no benefits whatsoever when I`ve tried different synths. I actually prefer dinos over synths.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
The real gain in MPG seems to come from syn gear oils in the diffs, manual trannies, x-fer cases, etc.

I do prefer synths in the diff and tranny,but dinos in the engine.

We have a new main page with an article of the month. This month topic is "What's in your motor oil" and it might help you decide on the best oil for you.

I think it's ok to go to syn at any mileage providing that the engine has low/no oil usage. If low usage can leave it in longer, which is the real syn benefit. Also better for low(well below zero) temps, less but some benefit at high (oil sump) temps.

Thanks for the info here. I enjoyed the article on the main page, I guess I just missed it before. I believe the Napa HM is the same as Maxlife, just sold in a Napa bottle. I never could get a straight answer from Ashland about it, though. Maxlife is a synth blend and both Maxlife and Napa HM have provided exactly the same results for me. However, I have no way to know if Napa HM really is a synth blend.

After reading the article and the posts here I will just continue using the Napa HM and ProSelect filter. I don't know if it would provide any real benefit for me to switch to synthetic. Plus my local Napa dealer never honors the prices in the Napa Online sales flyer anyway. I haven't been in his store to check, but they probably have the syn priced at 5 or 6 bucks a quart. And 6 or 7 bucks for a Napa Gold filter is just too much. The NG is one of the very best filters you can buy, but it's not something I need or absolutely have to use.

The house brand Napa HM works just fine for me. Thanks for the info on synthetics though.

I run Penzoil dino in the spring, summer and fall. But I switch to Penzoil Platinum in the winter. It was -10 degrees F here in the Detroit suburbs this morning. I try not to get caught up in all the marketing. But when it comes to negative double digit temps, I'll break down and run a synthetic for peace of mind.

It's hard to find a bad SM oil nowadays, syn or dino. Which one to use would depend on your psyche, car make/model, and driving style/habits. If you don't want to make the calculations use a good quality syn and call it a day.

Less wear on cold weather start up due to quicker flow. Better heat resistance. And most important to me: engine cleanliness.

You can also trust it to last longer or be in better shape running the same length OCI.

If you are a 3,000 mile oil changer, don't live in a very hot or cold climate and don't have a dirty or sludge prone motor you might not want to pay the extra cost.

I totally agree with FrankN4. I've used almost exclusively synthetic oils for the past twelve years. Never had an oil related issue, never got less than the advertised MPG for any given vehicle, ran a Honda Accord over 220k miles with no oil use when sold, and always had a feeling of confidence when it came to my vehicle internals. Does this mean anything scientifically? Nope. But it works for me.

There are a lot of people out there who simply abuse their engines by using dino and running their OCI to 8-10- maybe 15,000 miles. It's this type of motorist that a good synthetic would be helpful to. Long OCIs on dino can cause sludge and coking that causes stuck rings and poor oil circulation, which leads to premature engine failure.

Synthetics ARE better. Does everyone actually NEED them? ... maybe not. But for a few extra bucks, I think it's worth the peace of mind! There's always a sale somewhere on a good synthetic, and Wal-Mart's 5 quart jugs are well priced. So an extra few bucks every few months, isn't so bad! Have one less Starbuck Coffee per month, and you've made up the difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGll3zsJFY Mobil 1 in Vegas Cabs. I know many will have something to say against this, but still... VERY convincing IMO.

Originally Posted By: BigNick
Synthetics ARE better. Does everyone actually NEED them? ... maybe not. But for a few extra bucks, I think it's worth the peace of mind! There's always a sale somewhere on a good synthetic, and Wal-Mart's 5 quart jugs are well priced. So an extra few bucks every few months, isn't so bad! Have one less Starbuck Coffee per month, and you've made up the difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGll3zsJFY Mobil 1 in Vegas Cabs. I know many will have something to say against this, but still... VERY convincing IMO.

I agree with you except your Starbucks must be gouging you because last I checked I could get a few coffee's at Starbucks for the price difference between Dino & Syn.
LOL.gif

I change my oil every 3K-4K. I really don't need synthetic oil for the highway miles I drive. You are right about them being on sale and pay a few extra bucks but I would rather change the oil and filter using conventional oil. Just my preference.

Originally Posted By: tig1
There are a lot of people out there who simply abuse their engines by using dino and running their OCI to 8-10- maybe 15,000 miles. It's this type of motorist that a good synthetic would be helpful to. Long OCIs on dino can cause sludge and coking that causes stuck rings and poor oil circulation, which leads to premature engine failure.

Yep, that's the sole reason I run synthetic in my sister's car. If I had dino in it, she'd run it for 10k+ miles before she asked me to change it again. Thank god I put Pennzoil Platinum in it, she ran 13,000+ miles on it before telling me she 'thought' she needed an oil change, lol. Imagine 3 or 4 OCI's like that with dino...

Well, with my luck, her car would last 300k miles like that, and mine would die on the second time around pushing a dino that far. Cars are tough to put up with what some people do to them.

Me, I have always ran Castrol GTX in my truck, but when I saw that synthetic Rotella 5W-40 was only $5 more a gallon than the conventional I had been using, I HAD to switch to it. I felt like I wasn't getting my money's worth if I didn't.

Benefits of synthetic = Longer OCI's, better flow at any start up, regardless of cold or hot, and if I remember correctly, synthetics can hold more additives.

I do however run Valvoline SynPower in my wifes Ford Bronco 5.8L. I do that because of cold starts and very short trips to the store. The oil never gets up to temp in that Bronco unless we take it on a longer trip. I purposely put synthetic in there for that very reason so that is a big benefit of synthetics for me.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I agree with you except your Starbucks must be gouging you because last I checked I could get a few coffee's at Starbucks for the price difference between Dino & Syn.
LOL.gif

One less mocha-frappe-choco-venti-whip-latte per month... sure adds up! (You've probably guessed I don't actually go to Starbucks haha)

I can see your confusion tho. I'm Canadian, living in the U.S. Make it home every few weeks or so. American prices on synthetic oils are MUCH cheaper, even vs their exact same Canadian counterparts. Even with the current exchange! So I was really basing my statement on U.S. dino prices ($11-$16 for 5 quarts) vs U.S. Synthetic prices ($18-$25 for 5 quarts +filter sometimes!).

{Canadian Aside: Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts etc. have nothing on Timmy's!}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back