Raw chicken wings warmed up to 50-55 degrees for a few hours, toss?

Questionable food to the dog? A tad reckless IYAM.
Dogs aren't people. They can and do eat stuff that would put us in the ER. Our dogs hike off leash when they can and sometimes they get remains of things before I can get it away. No effect. But dairy is like dog Exlax. :poop:

In OP's case I'd cook the wings and give the meat to the dogs but I wouldn't touch it.

This situation doesn't seem that dire IMO.
If it was me I would've donned gloves, had them loose in a big mixing bowl to add rub or sauce the instant I discovered them in the open fridge. You could feel the temp of them in your hands and have some sort of idea just on that.

People today are so **** scared of everything and have little to no idea what actually takes place in restaurants they eat in.
Wrapped/sealed food left in the environment the OP stated for the duration he stated isn't overly concerning to me.

To each their own, there's some people out there that would toss these wings if they sat on the counter for an hour. Not factoring in that they're pretty **** cold to begin with, and forced into packages tightly together which helps to insulate the cold.

I've had food poisoning twice, not something I'd wish on my worst enemy but my guess based on the info provided is that they're fine.

Too many people flushing perfectly fine food they think turns into dynamite at the BBD or "danger zones".

Last edited:
If they were frozen when bought and still had ice crystals, eat.

If totally thawed, toss in trash. $25 is not worth getting sick over!

I dug out a pack of Costco party wings, crab classic and a couple small fillet mignon's for Superbowl sunday. I need to make the crab dip. OP let us know if your party wings turned out ok.

Attachments

• G9x7VPOzQtaD78f6AGTavA.jpg
    G9x7VPOzQtaD78f6AGTavA.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 2
My wonderful wife picked up $25 worth of sealed wings from Costco and threw them in the garage fridge yesterday. I got home from work and noticed the door wasn’t all the way closed. I checked the temp of a beer with the digital thermometer and it was 52.

She’s thinking they can’t possibly be safely cooked tomorrow and my cheap self thinks they’ll be fine as long as they are cooked to 165+.

Where better to get some input than a motor oil forum? What say you?
Why did you check the beer temperature and not the wings with the digital thermometer?

For reference I'm also making Costco wings for the game today. This package is 5.2lbs. It's currently 9:00am here in Vancouver and I'll be baking these off to be ready at halftime of the Super Bowl.

As most of you know, cooking any meat directly from the fridge is a nono, room temperature is where it needs to be for best results. In keeping with that, these will be sitting on my counter in my 24 degree home in that container for 4-5 hours before I sheet-pan them and bake them off. Even after that time on the counter, due to the volume and depth of that container the wings are still cool. They finish coming up to room temp after they've been panned out and the oven is preheating.

Unless wings are getting dropped in a deep fryer, this is what most knowledgeable cooks do and prevents the meat from getting temperature shocked and tightening up. Room temperature meat is always more tender and wing meat falls off the bone.

I doubt the wings in the OP's situation were subjected to much more of a hazardous situation than this.

Attachments

• 20230212_085252.jpg
    20230212_085252.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230212_085305.jpg
    20230212_085305.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 7
Why did you check the beer temperature and not the wings with the digital thermometer?

Because I wanted to drink a beer and didn’t want uncooked wings. The beer was in the door so possibly warmer than the wings further back in the fridge

I ate frozen chicken cooked to the proper temperature when I was 22 y.o. I got food poisoning, rushed to the hospital twice in one day, couldn't stand without passing out for a couple of days, puked everything I ate for a couple of days and lost a lot of weight over the course of three weeks. Three weeks later I was over it but had to regain strength, balance, eyc. which took a few months.

Good luck with your thawed wings!

I ate frozen chicken cooked to the proper temperature when I was 22 y.o. I got food poisoning, rushed to the hospital twice in one day, couldn't stand without passing out for a couple of days, puked everything I ate for a couple of days and lost a lot of weight over the course of three weeks. Three weeks later I was over it but had to regain strength, balance, eyc. which took a few months.

Good luck with your thawed wings!
The OP's wings were bought fresh not frozen.

Well? Did you guys cook the chicken? 🤔
Also, I’m happy to hear that your beer didn’t get too hot,…that would have been the real tragedy here. 😉🍻

The OP's wings were bought fresh not frozen.
My point is that cooking temperature doesn't kill the microbes that make you sick or get rid of their toxins. I read that raw chicken left out for 2-hours at 50F or 1-hour at 90F can make you sick.

My point is that cooking temperature doesn't kill the microbes that make you sick or get rid of their toxins. I read that raw chicken left out for 2-hours at 50F or 1-hour at 90F can make you sick.
I just left mine out at 24C/75F on the couter for 5 hours to bring them to cooking temp, baked them off, and ate them.
I've cooked in restaurants for years in my past. You learn over time what's ok and what isn't.
If you start with septic chicken no matter what you do you're gonna have asspiss later.
Start with a good product and there's some leeway, food doesn't turn to poison as fast as a lot of people think.

Go with whatever you believe and I'll do the same:)

The bacteria count at room temperature doubles every 4-20 minutes. You go from a low microbe count to an enormous figure in very little time.

For reference I'm also making Costco wings for the game today. This package is 5.2lbs. It's currently 9:00am here in Vancouver and I'll be baking these off to be ready at halftime of the Super Bowl.

As most of you know, cooking any meat directly from the fridge is a nono, room temperature is where it needs to be for best results. In keeping with that, these will be sitting on my counter in my 24 degree home in that container for 4-5 hours before I sheet-pan them and bake them off. Even after that time on the counter, due to the volume and depth of that container the wings are still cool. They finish coming up to room temp after they've been panned out and the oven is preheating.

Unless wings are getting dropped in a deep fryer, this is what most knowledgeable cooks do and prevents the meat from getting temperature shocked and tightening up. Room temperature meat is always more tender and wing meat falls off the bone.

I doubt the wings in the OP's situation were subjected to much more of a hazardous situation than this.
Hopefully the OP is still alive. 😇.

The sauce covering the wings is applied after the wings are cooked. It does not stick to uncooked slimy wings. I’m pretty sure the wings in the costco package have already been cooked (deep fried), then they are covered in the hot sauce and then packaged. The wings in the picture look deep fried to me? All you are doing is reheating them. The deep frying to 350F or so certainly kills any harmful bacteria.

Back