Ratchet Lube......

I don't think I've ever lubed a ratchet . Well , maybe one . I found it and it was in the bottom of a nasty toolbox full of crud . I cleaned it and used some fishing reel grease I had in the cabinet .

Koken says this about their 72-tooth ratchets:

Z-series 72T model ratchet handles are maintenance free. Do not grease up. High viscosity oil reduces upper pawl movement, which causes gear slippage.

I seldom buy specialty lubes, for ratchets just end up using a homebrew I mixed with 5W20 motor oil and mobile 1 synthetic grease, ends up around NLGI 00.

I use the same mix for worn fan sleeve bushings, mechanisms that have old, hardened grease but it isn't practical (or not worth the bother) to clean old grease out, scissors, pliers, door hinges, etc. You don't need but a drop or two, except for fans that have lube reservoirs then fill those.

Usually if it's a very old ratchet and I've never lubed it before, and showing signs of gumming up, I'll strip it down and clean with gasoline and a toothbrush before relubing.

The very quiet clicking never bothered me, and my ratchets have never been not smooth. I generally run SO ratchets though.
I suggest you try cleaning and lubing your beautiful Snappy ratchets. The rebuild kits come with Superlube. Here's one of my older ones...
1692814026971.jpg

1692814065254.jpg

I recently lubed all my ratchets for the first time and the difference in the older ones was amazing. After scouring the internet looking for the best lube, the consensus seemed to be a very light weight grease.
I have a good supply of Slip2000 EWG (Extreme Weapons Grease), and it based on my approximation is around NLGI grade 00-0, with PTFE, corrosion protection, and non-toxic. It also came in a handy syringe for easy application.

My ratchets feel great, especially my older Craftsman ratchets. I have several gearwrench 120 ratchets which I did not lube as they are still plenty wet from the factory lubricant, and being sealed, will likely stay greased up for awhile.

I’ve used a thin coat of brake caliper grease on the internals of ratchets in the past. Seemed to work ok.

Koken says this about their 72-tooth ratchets:

Supco MO98 is what that Koken 72 teeth ratchet would get if I had one.

I brought a pal's old 3/8" drive to the Snap-On truck who had 7 different guts but not for this relic. He ordered two sets and thanked my for the experience.

Also, his dad's 1/2" drive was known to jump and cause injury. I took that one and secretly mailed it off to SK in Chicago. I used his address so he got it back.

Cleaning either never crossed my mind.

I brought a pal's old 3/8" drive to the Snap-On truck who had 7 different guts but not for this relic. He ordered two sets and thanked my for the experience.

Also, his dad's 1/2" drive was known to jump and cause injury. I took that one and secretly mailed it off to SK in Chicago. I used his address so he got it back.

Cleaning either never crossed my mind.
If a ratchet skips you need a rebuild kit. The 3/8 long SO I posted was in need of new internals.
I love keeping them alive.

I use super-lube nlgi 2 (multi purpose synthetic grease). Works great on... well... everything. I have some older MITUSA craftsman ratcheting wrenches that don't disassemble. Those get soaked in ATF occasionally. They still work but the levers are a little grabby and need a wiggle sometimes.

Back