Ramps: Keep the Rhino and sell the classic?

I've used those metal ones. They pre-date not all, but most fwd. They are not fwd friendly.

I've had a fwd spin and pull one ramp under the car. Or fail to climb it. I just don't like them.

Such ramps date from the late 70s, slid around, and were not so great even with RWD. They just slid forward, instead of back.

I have a set, but I use them as substitute jack stands, and have reasonable confidence in them.

The steel designs that lack any sort of bracing are the ones I'd worry more about collapsing. You know like how egg shells are stronger end to end, than laterally?

Like these, and other similar designs:

Got a chuckle about how one of the review pics shows somebody put cinder blocks underneath them. Not a bad idea, even for the old ones. Look at the examples in the one star reviews that didn't.

Last edited:
I have both. I’ve got two sets of metal one set of plastic Rhino ramps. The metal sets are older than me. One set is from a yard sale. The other set my dad said he bought at Western Auto in the 1970s. The plastic set he got in about 2004 to work on his Alfa and also our lower cars as they won’t fit on the metal ramps. I used to the plastic ones today. I don’t even know where you could get a quality set of metal ramps in today’s time. Walmart has Rhino ramps though. They look a lot different than from 2004 that’s for sure.

I ditched my Rhino ramps after this happened last summer.
1711889017001.jpg

I use the HF version of Rhino ramps. And slide a couple of jack stands under the frame as backup.
Now that I do a lot of oil change services with the MityVac, I am under the cars a lot less.

"Compare to" sales tactics are commonly used to convey how a product has similar quality to a competitor, but at a lower price.

But one has to wonder what the HF web producer was thinking when they cited the "Balance World" listing on Amazon, which isn't a brand, but the name of a third party reseller peddling the same HF ramps at higher price.

And includes reviews such as this one:

Back