Ramps for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used ramps for 25+ years and have NO problems using them by myself. Get good quality ramps, align them with the front tires and, drive up slowly to the stops. Set parking brake and block back tires. I use ramps even though I could reach to change oil & filter, but, it is easier on my poor old shoulders and in addition, I can do an under vehicle inspection. Ed

Another vote for ramps. I feel more safe under ramps than on jack stands. It takes too long to jack up a car on each side and place jack stands then it does to just drive up on ramps.

Ramps are too cumbersome for an oil change. They do come in handy for other jobs though. They can be tricky on an inclined driveway, which is what I have, and when it's wet outside.

I simply jack up one side, opposite of the drain plug, place the jack stand under a structural member, but I do not rest the vehicle on it, it's just there for safety while I'm under the car, do my thing and I'm done in less than half an hour.

Ramps rule. Makes it so much easier to access things. If you ever have to raise the engine to change a motor mount, a ramp is your best friend along with a piece of 2x4 and your floor jack.

If the ramps can support the car safely (they not about to bow in from weight like a Rolls Royce or Ford Excursion or truly massive thing above 4500lbs or so) and the clearance is enough for what you need to do, then it is very safe as the car's entire suspension evenly distributes the weight and load across whole axle, and two tires points.. again, the weight ends up on the ramps. Jack stands could help, or if you have old tire rim or two to add to under, just in case.

Masonry products like bricks or concrete or cinder blocks are discouraged as they may crack, and a friend on another car forum had a friend lost his life when car fell on him, not properly supported (what a way to go..) but it's been seen done. You can't have it supported too much.

For something like an oil change, if it gets high enough, you would "probably" be OK with a ramp.

You could do an OC with a tire up on a curb, most the time. You better have an oil catch pan, though. If not, it is beyond environmentally irresponsible and you shouldn't be doing the OC, though we all likely know one person that has done something like just left the oil there, kaybe even by a storn drain, and gotter away wit it. Not cool.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: mk378
Ramps are good to get under the car for most work that doesn't require removing the wheels. Very quick to set up, and safe.

Yeah, but you really can't use ramps by yourself.

I disagree.

Originally Posted By: Ratchetgrinder
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: mk378
Ramps are good to get under the car for most work that doesn't require removing the wheels. Very quick to set up, and safe.

Yeah, but you really can't use ramps by yourself.

I disagree.

" ... you really can't use ramps by yourself." Really? I guess I've been doing something wrong for decades of oil changes. When I had my Aerostars I could do the oil changes without ramps or jacking it up, but I have not been so lucky with all my other vehicles, especially the cars.

I'm able to easily put both my El Camino and Civic on ramps without assistance. I prefer them to a jack and stands for jobs that do not require removing the wheels; they're faster and easier to set up safely. I set the parking brake and block one of the back wheels, then remove the key from the ignition, and I'm as safe as I ever can be under a raised vehicle.

I use the grey Rhino ramps for my 4Runner (Jeep is lifted and needs no ramps) and I also block the rear wheels and put heavy duty jack stands under the frame...just in case. I have done this for ten years.

Over the past few years I have really grown to like ramps. Getting under a vehicle for underside tasks is so much easier. Having 4WD makes going up the ramps very easy. I shift into 4L take my foot off the brake, and up she goes without having to step on the gas, or work the gas and the brake. For certain tasks they're much easier than a jack and jack stands.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
A real man makes his own ramps out of good ol' lumber.

This. Never a worry about getting under the car. The ramp are solid, and that's not just an expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back