RAM 4200 5400 6400 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the differences in these? I would like to upgrade my RAM. I have 2 DDR2 slots that can hold 2GB each. Currently running 3GB with 2.75 usable.

your motherboard will determine the maximum RAM speed that is supported. if you can find information on that, you'll know what kind of RAM speeds to look for and at which point spending more will do nothing.

Unless you have a system with a BIOS that you can set memory timings and speed, the motherboard will run the memory at whatever speed it wants.

Most of the time you will get best memory performance with a 1:1 mem/(BCLK/FSB) ratio. You can plug in faster RAM, but chances are if your current RAM is already running 1:1, then that is as good as it will get. If it is a lappy, then your options are even more limited.

Generally, 3gigs of RAM will get you by OK even on VISTA. With 2 slots, 4gig (2X2gig) is the usual configuration. Whether that 1 additional gig will make enough of a difference to justify the cost is the question.

And is that Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

If it's 32-bit then I wouldn't bother upgrading beyond 3 GB of memory. You will probably gain very little because all the device memory mapping has to squeeze into the 4 GB address space, so most of that last 1 GB you add will be unusable.

Originally Posted By: RobertISaar
IIRC, there is either a 3.25 or 3.75 GB limit in x86. either way.

It's 3.25GB, and as for the initial question for most cases memory speed won't matter particularly much in terms of actual performance. At least in terms of everyday noticeability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back