Ram 1500 manual transmission towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 3/4 ton truck for a bass boat?!?! An 18 foot bass boat with trailer probably won't even top 2500 lbs!

A 2006+ Ram, even a V6, wouldn't even notice a bass boat and trailer. A 4.3 S10 is more than enough for a bass boat.

[censored], my old white van (1976 Plymouth, slant-six, three on the tree, 3.54 rear end) tows around 3500 pounds on a two-hour round trip every week without any trouble.

I think the 3/4T recommendation was to get an automatic which wouldn't grenade when being asked to tow. Towing used to take out light duty 4 speed autos, which were common in... 1/2T trucks.

it's all about the rear end gear. however, 8 launches a year---- we aren't talking about 3 times per week. Even with a taller gear I don't think there's much to worry about. Air the tires down if you need, and use tires that are good on a ramp, and you'll likely be fine.

Originally Posted By: supton
I think the 3/4T recommendation was to get an automatic which wouldn't grenade when being asked to tow. Towing used to take out light duty 4 speed autos, which were common in... 1/2T trucks.

You're exactly right.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: supton

You're exactly right.

It's a good thought, but up until very recently, the Dodge 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons have used the same trans, assuming both are gas trucks (excluding the V10s that were only in the 3/4 ton and bigger and got the diesel trans).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back