racing oil...working on comparison chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the board. Considering a change to my racecar oil (1970 911 2.4L making about 160hp at the wheels redline @7400).

Haven't found a comparison chart anywhere so building my own. Happy to be directed to this info if it exists somewhere. Or, please add if you have the data. For the most part this is from manufacturers data sheets:

Originally Posted By: tokyem
Thanks. I will add them to the chart

You're to be applauded for showing some initiative in selecting an oil, but putting together a chart of various xW-50 products seems somewhat of an exercise in futility.

How about this...

What oil are you currently running?
How has it performed?

@GutsyGeko @Ramblejam

I don't know anyone that is using Mobil1 in their air-cooled Porsche...

@GutsyGeko @Ramblejam

I don't know anyone that is using Mobil1 in their air-cooled Porsche...

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but...

http://mobil1racing.com/pdf/2013_Catalog_Final.pdf

"Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 is a higher viscosity grade oil that is also suitable for older racing engines, air-cooled Porsche engines and engines running at high temperatures."

Use it with full confidence.

tokyem, welcome to BITOG.

Firstly I wouldn't recommend any oil with a VI less than 185 so that excludes all 15W/20W-50 grade oils. There are high VI performance oils including RL's 5W-50 (187 VI, HTHSV 5.0cP) from which to choose.

But what one really needs to first establish is how heavy an oil you need in your modestly powered vintage 911. To do that that we need to know your maximum oil temp's and minimum oil pressure values at elevated rev's.
With that info we can start to establish your required operational viscosity and go from there.

Thanks. Glad to have found you all.

I don't know the pressure over rpm but let's say 60lbs at 5000rpm. Max temp is 240-250F. I have two oil coolers but ambient temps north of 100 are common. I don't expect to need cold starts below about 50F so can't imagine needing 5W or even 10w. Big concern is the life of the motor. And heat is my enemy.

Have run 15w50 amsoil synthetic for years. Tried Brad Penn after the last rebuild but it didn't end well. Not likely the oil's fault but the failure caused me to want to learn more about the oil.

I am not as focused on the weight as I am learning about additives. How much zinc is enough? Is Moly good or bad?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
tokyem, welcome to BITOG.

Firstly I wouldn't recommend any oil with a VI less than 185 so that excludes all 15W/20W-50 grade oils. There are high VI performance oils including RL's 5W-50 (187 VI, HTHSV 5.0cP) from which to choose.

VII doesn't do much lubricating...

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
Take a look at Schaeffer's 5w50 Racing oil, extremely good specs. I use it in my racing 2 cylinder 4wheeler with outstanding results. I know, apples and oranges, but look at the specs!

Schaeffer's 5w50 Racing

Got any details on the zinc content? I'm looking for potential new oils, but very high zinc is one of my requirements. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Paddy1337
Got any details on the zinc content? I'm looking for potential new oils, but very high zinc is one of my requirements.

Start up your own thread, Tim -- I'd be interesting to discuss your car.

I'll certainly do that since you're interested. I'll hold off until tonight when I'm home from work and can add pretty pictures/videos or something.
wink.gif

Back to the subject of the Schaeffer supreme 9000: it sounds good on their site, and might be a good contender for a winter oil in my car, but, the price isn't really much different than AMSoil Zrod, so I don't see myself switching from something that served me well if it's not going to save me money.

Honestly with no more power than what that glorified VW is making you don't need anything crazy
grin.gif
Being air cooled, stick with something that can handle the high oil temps that you'll likely see. If Amsoil is working for you then I'd continue. Just keep a close monitor on oil temps and pressure at sustained RPM during your driving events.

After reading up on it, I'd surely give the Mobil 1 V Twin stuff a try, looks like a very stout oil!

...not making much power but able to keep up with the 500+ HP Mustangs...

I like the idea of the 0W50 M1. But wonder what, if anything, is being sacrificed to give such a wide range.

Also, key question is whether you can have too much Zinc...my friends that run Red Line swear you cannot.

Also, key question is whether you can have too much Zinc...my friends that run Red Line swear you cannot.

I'm with your friends. I think there is a point of diminishing returns; but at realistic numbers, I don't think there can be too much.

...not making much power but able to keep up with the 500+ HP Mustangs...

I like the idea of the 0W50 M1. But wonder what, if anything, is being sacrificed to give such a wide range.

Analysis paralysis

Mobil 1 recommends their V-Twin 20w-50 for your application -- it's available here: http://amzn.com/B000SKV4T8

$9.97/quart with FREE shipping.

Now, focus on other aspects (there's a plethora of them) that'll make your Porsche a better race car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back