Racecar Engineering article on NASCAR lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting reading. I also read the article on rear camber. Are they using u-joints or cv joints in the rear on these cars? I always assumed it was a solid rear axle with solid shafts. Not sure how they'd get rear camber using splined axle shafts (unless they're somehow tapered at the end).

Yes, 0w16 is a new SAE grade. We've discussed that before.

No surprise at the 0w10 -- they want as little friction as possible.

Originally Posted By: dparm

No surprise at the 0w10 -- they want as little friction as possible.

With the oil coolers and tight clearances, that oil should maintain a low temp and good pressure. If the engines built for it ( which it is), then heck yeah 0w-10. Oil is one of the few things that are not regulated in motorsports, so using a thinner oil will benefit more power!

Good find.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Very interesting reading. I also read the article on rear camber. Are they using u-joints or cv joints in the rear on these cars? I always assumed it was a solid rear axle with solid shafts. Not sure how they'd get rear camber using splined axle shafts (unless they're somehow tapered at the end).

They are all using 9" Ford rear axles. Check out Speedway Engineering, that is who a lot of the teams buy the housings from. There was an article in either PHR or Car Craft where they went through a build with those guys that included 1 degree of negative camber. The ends of the axle tubes are sort of rounded to allow for the camber.

Now with Aussie V8 Supercars, they use Ford 9" rear also. They have stick axles that go out about a foot or so from the pumpkin then have CV axles going out to the rear uprights.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Now with Aussie V8 Supercars, they use Ford 9" rear also. They have stick axles that go out about a foot or so from the pumpkin then have CV axles going out to the rear uprights.

^^^Is that the old setup they used to run, or is that the new, 'independent' rear setup of their current "Car Of The Future"??
21.gif

Shannow? Silk?

I still find it hard to believe that they run spools in those beasts on the insane circuits on which they race.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

^^^Is that the old setup they used to run, or is that the new, 'independent' rear setup of their current "Car Of The Future"??
21.gif

Shannow? Silk?

I still find it hard to believe that they run spools in those beasts on the insane circuits on which they race.
crazy2.gif

I haven't seen the "COF" but the old cars were technically an IRS. Although they had a funky watts type link back there also from what I remember seeing.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Last I heard the new grade is "SAE 16". 0w16 is just slang.

21.gif

Shannow? Silk?

crazy2.gif

I haven't seen the "COF" but the old cars were technically an IRS. Although they had a funky watts type link back there also from what I remember seeing.

The V-8 supercars were a solid rear end, with adjustable camber, and at least in the early days just used the play in the splines to get up to around a degree. The funky bearing housings were a harrop designed floating bearing assembly that wouldn't release the wheel on an axle failure (and therefore didn't load up he splines with wheel loads like a typical street bearing.

The Watt's Linkage allowed them to move the roll centre wherever they wanted it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Does this prove thin is better than thick for wear protection??
23.gif

it proves they all have the money to throw all of the parts away after every race.

the search for hp is not cheap.

and depends on whose motors you are talking about. jgr seems to have "issues".

Originally Posted By: Shannow

21.gif

Shannow? Silk?

crazy2.gif

The V-8 supercars were a solid rear end, with adjustable camber, and at least in the early days just used the play in the splines to get up to around a degree. The funky bearing housings were a harrop designed floating bearing assembly that wouldn't release the wheel on an axle failure (and therefore didn't load up he splines with wheel loads like a typical street bearing.
Watt's Linkage allowed them to move the roll centre wherever they wanted it.
Since IRS has been around forever it would be nice to see the road course versions of NASCAR allowed to use it.

JGR and MWR gets there engines from TRD. I noticed that JGR has more engine failures than MWR. I wonder if JGR demands more HP than MWR? I assume all JGR cars run on Joe Gibbs oil. Not sure what MWR uses as far as oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Does this prove thin is better than thick for wear protection??
23.gif

I think it's more of a balance act between fewer power loss (thiner oil) and enough protection for durability (thicker oil). If the engine only need to last 500 or 600 miles between rebuilds, why bother with more protection?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Since IRS has been around forever it would be nice to see the road course versions of NASCAR allowed to use it.

AGREED!!

But of course the Frances/et al would claim that would raise the costs they are trying to keep down, despite almost all of the teams having TOTALLY different, purpose-built cars for the two road courses ANYWAY.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back