Quick way to educate people 3K OCI is a WASTE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I admit I am a convert from the "old-school" 3K OCI but through ALOT of reading and studying this forum etc. I recognize that simply using 3K as the oil change industry suggests is a waste of money and resources.

What is the quickest way to convince that ..."just because my guy at valvoline says 3K OCI is good",.... doesn't mean it's necessary

It's like talking to a wall....I need scientific evidence...

yeah, they had a major hardware crash today... they had to restore from their last backup on saturday
frown.gif

A fresh slate!

Just tell them that new motor oils are much better in many ways than the old days. People do 10K oil changes and the engines are in great shape going 250,000 miles and beyond.

Some people go beyond 20,000 miles with no ill effects on the same oil!

The experimenting is long over and 3000 mile oil changes for the average car and the average driver are a thing of the past. They are a waste of time and natural resources. 6000 miles is even reasonable for the weakest of oils now.

Many automobile manufacturers have OLM’ s that don’t indicate change until 6000 miles and beyond. Many manufacturers began suggesting 7500+ mile OCI’s several years ago. 3000 mile OCI makes money for the Super Monkey Quickie Lube places, that’s about it.

Wow, that sucks about the crash.

I said...

Its hard to convince people otherwise when the ASE still recommends 3000 mile intervals, and I believe the just declined the extension to 5000 miles saying its not time yet.

Personally I like 5000 mile intervals on synthetic, but I am stretching it out to 7500.

Quote:
The experimenting is long over and 3000 mile oil changes for the average car and the average driver are a thing of the past.

I must not be the average driver because I had less than 1800 miles on my last oil interval. The oil had been in there for over 4 months and it got drained out.

I just flat out love changing oil. I get to have my bonding session with my car.

Before you guys start throwing flack at me, let me say this:

I used to be a 3 month changer before joining BITOG.
grin2.gif

This is what I like to tell people who still change every 3k:

When the 3k interval was first made popular, engines used carbs and dumped a lot more fuel into the oil. Not only that, but the quality of oil back then was considerably worse than it is today.

So with engines running so much cleaner and oil being so much better, why stick to the same old school interval?

5k is the new 3k! (and even that is conservative, most people could go 6-7k on conventional oil these days and get a very long engine life)

Do whatever makes you feel good. It is your car, you pay for the oil, if you want to change it out every 1500 miles then you can because it is your car and you pay for it and the oil/filter

You guys need to come clean and be honest. The reason why you're pushing long drain intervals is because you don't like changing oil.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that; I'm just saying I don't believe you guys are disclosing the whole truth about your advocation of long drain intervals.

An honest statement would sound something like this:

"I care about my car, but I don't like doing oil changes; therefore I use Amsoil."

There, don't you feel better for saying that?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I like changing my oil, but I DESPISE wasting money too.

I despise wasting money too. Last night I had to throw my whole entire salad away because the cucumbers tasted bitter.

Tonight when I was standing in front of the cucumbers in the produce department, I must've stayed there for 20 minutes trying to find just the right set of cucumbers.

I despise soft cucumbers; I have to have my cucumbers firm a crunchy. And I don't like them all green inside either; I'd rather they be white inside.

Sometimes I'll just buy 1 cucumber and 1 tomato for my salad; that way if they don't work out, I've only lost the expenditure of 1 cucumber and 1 tomato.

Motor oil is a much less riskier investment for me than cucumbers are.
smile.gif

Even though you are messing around, I like changing my oil as well but if through oil analysis I can extend my oil change interval to a couple thousand more miles and not spend more money (except for the uoa) then I will do it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I like changing my oil, but I DESPISE wasting money too.

I despise wasting money too. Last night I had to throw my whole entire salad away because the cucumbers tasted bitter.

Tonight when I was standing in front of the cucumbers in the produce department, I must've stayed there for 20 minutes trying to find just the right set of cucumbers.

I despise soft cucumbers; I have to have my cucumbers firm a crunchy. And I don't like them all green inside either; I'd rather they be white inside.

Sometimes I'll just buy 1 cucumber and 1 tomato for my salad; that way if they don't work out, I've only lost the expenditure of 1 cucumber and 1 tomato.

Motor oil is a much less riskier investment for me than cucumbers are.
smile.gif

I would have picked the cucumbers off and ate the salad without the cucumbers. would have saved me the cost of the salad. I work too hard for my money!

3000 mile OCIs are great advice... for cars with no oil filter!
LOL.gif

OP, whom are you trying to persuade? A lot of people are stuck in their ways, and it's often best for the friendship if you let some things go.
wink.gif

- Scott

Here is a graph of oil run to 18k miles.. shows ppm per mile starting to level off at 3k
lifeg593.gif

Ofcourse makeup oil probably skewed the data but still 5k seems palatable.

Full read
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
"
Interpreting Wear Metals
Looking at a single oil sample's wear metals wouldn't impart much useful information. Frozen in time, with no trend to compare it to, it would serve solely as a pass or fail mechanism: either the wear metals are excessively high or they're not. While that's useful to know, it's only part of the story. The rate of accumulation is actually the more useful measure, as it allows us to see whether the oil's protective ability is improving or weakening. Iron, copper, and lead are the three most important wear metals, as they derive from the components most prone to wear, such as piston rings and various bearings.

The solid lines are the standardized cumulative totals of wear metals in parts per million for iron, copper, and lead. The shaded lines are the standardized totals of wear metals in ppm per mile -- in other words, the shaded lines represent how quickly the wear metals accumulate as compared to how quickly the miles accumulate.

While the wear metals all accumulated steadily over the course of the test, the highest concentrations of accumulation per mile occurred in the first 3,000 miles of the test! From the 3,000-mile mark all the way to 18,000 miles, only lead showed an increase in per-mile wear beyond 3,000 miles. Yet even with an increased wear rate, lead wore the least in terms of absolute wear. For iron and copper, the longer the oil remained in service, the lower the wear rate got.

In case it isn't obvious yet, this means that the most wear occurs in the first 3,000 miles.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back