Questions about snow chains on Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's time for another interesting winter, this time I am actually moved into my home in the mountains. I was renting last year as I built the house, so I only got a taste of what I may be in for this year.

I have ZERO past experience with chains, except for when I worked for a municipal PD and we used these primitive-looking, heavy chains on the rear wheels only, on Crown Vics with all-season radials. They worked decently however cornering and turning while in reverse could sometimes be frightening on ice.

My winter vehicle is a 2002 Explorer. She wears Nokian Vatiivas, which did well last year, however this year I will be living about 2000 feet higher up and expect more snow, ice, and interesting hilly drives.

I am looking at chains and leaning toward "cable" style chains, mainly for ease of installation in case my fiance has to put them on by herself without any assistance (she's a tiny little thing). The manufacturers also seem to claim that the cable-style with rollers or some such, are superior to old-school linked chains.

I am considering these:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-29560...r-tc2111mm.aspx

Comments?

Also, on this vehicle, should one set of chains be sufficient? If so, should they go on the front or rear? I know we used to put them on the rear of our cruisers, but I think front may be better with a 4x4 so we would have better steering control.

Thanks A LOT to anyone who can help out!

you should consult your owners manual but Ford recommends installing chains on rear wheels only on 4x4's on both my Navigator and Mark LT 4x4's

If you're worried about ice I'd consider square link chains. Laclede has some nice square link 'Alpine' chains sold thru Les Schwab around here. I run studded snow tires in the winter on a 4x4 pickup and have had to still use chains on 'soft ice' close to freezing, but once chained up I had no problems on even steep hills. I've heard of more problems with lighter vehicles running cable chains on ice, although they work fine in snow. I use chains front and back when I chain up.

There won't be much difference in installation between cables and regular chains, as the biggest hassle is kneeling in the snow and pulling chains around the tire. If there are concerns about the ability to install chains I'd consider a set of good snow tires instead of trying to get by with some sort of all season. On the Taurii we're running studded Hakka 2s, and my sone is running some studded Firestone Winterforce on his 2wd F150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back