Question on Dietz Jr. #20 Kerosene Lantern

These pics remind me of the red light district in an old western.

Would l.e.d. flashlights be a better choice? The batteries last a very long time and are much brighter than 1 candlepower.
Lamp oil can sit in a bottle on the shelf for decades till needed.

I have a Dietz air pilot that I used for several power outages, until I bought a generator.

One quart of lamp oil will last long enough for you to lose your mind.

We have a couple of these things and might run them for an hour or two during the start of a blackout, then the kids are hooking up the generator to get the internet back.

I'd be annoyed, but it gets them interested in small engines, so I let it slide. :LOL:

IMO if it's be used indoors I would pay the extra for the clean burning stuff. Out in the garage I can tell when my propane heater has been running for a couple hours, and that's something that burns cleanly (has an O2 shutoff, so I don't think it's CO/CO2 related). Outdoors is different.

Call me crazy but I think I'd rather spend my money on a battery of some sort and an LED light instead. D cells can be stored for a number of years, and have large capacity. Some of the large fancy candles (in glass jars) are relatively "safe" and can be counted on for low level lighting around the house. But don't make enough light to ready by. I'm not sure what your goal is, just one light to get by with, or something to weather a multi-day outage?

Something I have grown to absolutely love are headlamps, the sort that you strap onto your head--it's like they can read your mind and will automatically put the light where you need it. :) Like this. These days I don't work on my car without it... and during the last outage, when I was rewiring the panel so as to change circuits so as to bring certain outlets online, very very useful. [That reminds me, I need to buy a spare, if not three, just that handy.
Headlights are a must have.

By the way, the style of kerosene/oil lamps shown in this thread is called a hurricane lantern. They differ in design from other designs that are meant to be used only stationary like on a table top. Those lamps use what's called a dead-flame design and are less bright. Hurricane lanterns are aspirated by cleverly designed piping that keeps the wind and rain out. There are two design types: cold-blast and hot-blast, with the cold-blast design putting out more light and heat. Hot-blast lanterns run cooler and use less fuel. You can take a hurricane lantern out in a stormy downpour, attach it to your oxcart, hang it from a tree branch, or set it down on the ground.

Last edited:
Back