Question everything...

BITOG typical thread...
1707154747185.jpg

funny! 😎 Very good motto to have. I try to live a life based on evidence which flies in the face of many folks ideologies. I've run into so many that get "Irritated" by asking them questions. Most likely b/c they don't know the answers. How many times have you asked someone that should know the answer but doesn't know? That in itself is fine the problem, is when they give you a guess as an answer. This goes beyond BITOG.

funny! 😎 Very good motto to have. I try to live a life based on evidence which flies in the face of many folks ideologies. I've run into so many that get "Irritated" by asking them questions. Most likely b/c they don't know the answers. How many times have you asked someone that should know the answer but doesn't know? That in itself is fine the problem, is when they give you a guess as an answer. This goes beyond BITOG.
Sometimes people get educated enough, smart enough, whatever, to think they know what they are talking about and are not open to different thoughts...

To me, education gives you the ability to at least question your most deeply held beliefs.

Sometimes people get educated enough, smart enough, whatever, to think they know what they are talking about and are not open to different thoughts...

To me, education gives you the ability to at least question your most deeply held beliefs.
That's right. We should keep learning & accepting change in this evolving world.

I'm accused of this occasionally, know-it-all-itis. It's always hilarious to see the looks on questioners faces when I say "I don't know"... Time to do more research!

I've had a few bosses that did this, made it up on the fly. Then changed their tune when they were proven wrong!

I'm accused of this occasionally, know-it-all-itis. It's always hilarious to see the looks on questioners faces when I say "I don't know"... Time to do more research!
It's probably harmless on the smaller stuff but just like the first doctor that told my wife she didn't have cancer when in fact she did is beyond belief & harmful. Not to get too serious but just using this as an example of "Reasonableness".

It's probably harmless on the smaller stuff but just like the first doctor that told my wife she didn't have cancer when in fact she did is beyond belief & harmful. Not to get too serious but just using this as an example of "Reasonableness".
Just goes to show 12 years of med school might not be enough… Sometimes a real-life “Dr. House” is required.

Why would you ask questions if you already know the answers? 🤔🙃

Why would you ask questions if you already know the answers? 🤔🙃
I end up getting the correct answer eventually & makes the first answer from someone as just a "Wild Guess" really. Real life situation on post #10. Like I said wife/cancer/ two doctors said she had none while the 3rd showed she did have it. She had two surgeries last year. We didn't "know" the answer per se but the wife knew something wasn't right with the lump.

But to your point there are some things you know but would like to "double check" w/the appropriate people & they tell you something so far out it's ridiculous sometimes.

I encourage everyone to ask questions but we must be aware of the answers we receive & be educated enough to know if that answer seems plausible or not.

in deference to your situation, sometimes the answer is right the first time and we don't want to believe it either. So we keep searching until we find someone who agrees with us. It's in politics, medicine - everything and everywhere.

Heck, this forum is where things that seem "common sense" or "reasonable" to us here at BITOG, are not even on other's minds as the beginnings of a question.

It's the benefit of experience, specialization, and curiosity - combined with the dedication to find out (keep learning as someone said before) that keeps us as a society moving ahead.

I am glad the situation worked out for you and your dogged determination and belief in your wife helped find the answer. I hope she gets better and stays better.

Some of the stupidest people I ever came across were also the most highly educated. It was as if there was no more room for common sense up there.
One of my dear departed best friends used to say “It’s what you learn AFTER you know everything that’s important”. I was young when he said it, but ~30 years on I realize he was referring to experience…

Back