Question about purchasing a car in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a question for people in NJ, or anyone who may know about this kind of stuff... I'd like to know what taxes are involved when purchasing a used car in NJ. Is there a state tax? If so, how much? What other taxes?

Anyone who knows about buying/selling used cars may be able to answer. Any info would be great.

Thanks guys!

BennyL, there is a 6% state sales tax in New Jersey. It is collected at sale or, more commonly for private party sales, at registration.

Being a Northerner, you may be exempt... You might want to give a call to our Division of Taxation and ask about NJ Tax Form ST-10, http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/sales/st10.pdf

"Subsection N.J.S.A. 54:32B-10(a) of the New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Act provides as follows:
“Receipts from any sale of a motor vehicle shall not be subject to the retail sales tax imposed under subsection (a) of section 3, despite
the taking of physical possession by the purchaser within this State, provided that the purchaser, at the time of taking delivery:
(1) is a nonresident of this State,
(2) has no permanent place of abode in this State,
(3) is not engaged in carrying on in this State any employment, trade, business or profession in which the motor vehicle will
be used in this State. . . . .”

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The NJ sales tax is now 7%.

TomNJ

Lucky ba$tards.

Originally Posted By: BennyL
Hi,

I have a question for people in NJ, or anyone who may know about this kind of stuff... I'd like to know what taxes are involved when purchasing a used car in NJ. Is there a state tax? If so, how much? What other taxes?

Anyone who knows about buying/selling used cars may be able to answer. Any info would be great.

Thanks guys!

Now I'll assume that you're purchasing it in NJ and taking it back to Canada for registration, correct?

If this was PA you would go to a tag/notary and get a "Transit Tag" with proof of insurance. I'm unsure of international sales, but if I buy in Jersey, I don't pay their sales tax. I pay when I register it in PA. I get a transit tag (if I'm driving it).

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Is this from a dealer or private sale?

I'm wondering what the case is for either...

Again, if in PA, the dealer is/has a notary and they would issue the Transit tag. If private, you would go to a tag joint and get your Transit Tag. Apparently NJ does this themselves.

It may be easier to just call a car dealer in NJ and ask them what they would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back