Question about M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been spending a good amount of time reading the UOAs from various vehicles that undergo various conditions and I'm consistently seeing high metal counts with M1, which is most likely old news for a lot of you.
But at the same time I see a good number of folks here recommending M1 to people that ask for oil recommendations. Does this mean the 15+ppm of iron and cooper, and 10+ ppm of lead on a 5k run is negligible?
I realize that we can avoid those results with the Euro formula, or the EP brand, but at that price level I believe I can buy better oil for the same price.
So I respectfully ask, what is the reasoning behind the M1 recommendations?

p.s. I've been a religious user of M1 in my Mustang due to the consistent praise on many Mustang forums. But today it got it's first fill of PP. And judging from the way the engine started and ran, I feel like I did it a favor.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: semaj281
21.gif

This iron question comes up once a week i swear,try a search on the subject,i've got probably a million miles on this oil and haven't lost an engine/cam yet because of "high" iron it's quality proven oil that works,what else can one say.

use it or don't use it........

Can we just lock this thread, seriously this is getting tiresome.

To the OP do you really think his has not been beat to death here? Look back a couple weeks and see many epic threads that get really nasty that start out exactly like you have. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did not even try a search and that you are not a troll.

Depends on the oil.
wink.gif

Mobil 1 5w-30 gets recommended when high temp deposit control is a priority. It is known to be strong in that area, even though it does not show the best results in UOAs.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is pretty much THE off-the-shelf multipurpose oil for high-end apps. It's really good stuff that carries more OEM approvals than anything on the shelf. It gets recommended for any application requiring one of those approvals, or if someone just needs a really good xw-40 oil that's available just about everywhere.

The High Mileage (HM), Extended Performance (EP), Truck & SUV (T&SUV or TSUV), and Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT) oils have better reputations than their plain-Jane counterparts (i.e. they sometimes make UOAs look better).

The Advanced Fuel Economy (AFE) oils have exceptional cold performance.

The 15w-50 just has a really strong following. It also has pretty good cold characteristics for its viscosity grade.

High iron numbers are the one consistent thing we are seeing.

It could be from slightly higher wear from their trade off for reduced deposits (They are supposedly almost 6 times better than required to pass GM 4718M) , it could be the type of sacrificial AW films it lays down have a slight corrosive effect or even some of the technology it uses for reduced friction (iron oxide containing low shear "soaps"). The bottom line is no one truly knows who is free to talk. But it is a signature you see with the mainstream M1 formulations.

If it worries you chose something along the lines of Pennzoil Platinum.

If not then no manufacturer has seen anything in their tear down tests to stop them from using it as factory fill.

Im not going to claim to know and we have well informed people who come down on each side of the issue.

If it helps you any I just bout 24 qt of M1 5W20 on sale for my 2011 Mustang GT.

I would cautious if i was going to use it in a Direct Injection Engine with a history of cam / cam follower issues. If it is a wear/deposit trade off (Im not saying it is) it might not be the best choice for that application.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
OK well sorry for the waste of space.

You're fine. The way you asked the question is different from what we normally get. They are either not understanding what you're asking or just afraid of another bashfest.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46

To the OP do you really think his has not been beat to death here? Look back a couple weeks and see many epic threads that get really nasty that start out exactly like you have. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did not even try a search and that you are not a troll.

Now this may be a dumb question, but whats a troll?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: lipadj46

I'm sure it's been beat to death so I actually did a search using the string "mobil+iron." I'd say the fact that I utilize the search function is why my post count is so low. When I ran the search, this is what I got:
bitog.jpg

It's safe to say the results had little relevance to my question. The threads consist mostly of oil recommendations and not M1 and its iron count.

And thanks for your benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure relatively high ppm of dissolved metal in a UOA actually or always represents increased wear. Sure it can, and sometimes does - but 9 ppm vs 15 ppm Fe is just canned cheese whiz. Seems like it does represent increased wear when people root against an oil. Then people naturally ask where the metal comes from. 10 ppm? Cripes steel parts have been soaking in a very hot, then very cold fluid - with all kinds of water and car juices and combustion by-products and they need to ask where the iron is coming from.

BITOC

Bob is the oil cheerleader

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Now this may be a dumb question, but whats a troll?
54.gif

Trolls join a forum and post with the intention of irritating other forum members.

Originally Posted By: urbandictionary.com

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Your lucky you got anything from the forum search engine. Use google to search this forum, it's an outstanding search tool. Click on advance search beside google (beside the typing bar search engine) then copy, and paste this website in the typing bar beside Search within a site or domain: like below

Search within a site or domain: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums

Now search away

Originally Posted By: rclint
Use google to search this forum, it's an outstanding search tool. Click on advance search beside google (beside the typing bar search engine) then copy, and paste this website in the typing bar beside Search within a site or domain: like below

Or just use the Google search button which is at the top right of this site. BITOG is paying for it, so make use of it.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=01829996478...n&sa=Search

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back