question about current gen camry airbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
today i went to put the k&n back in my mom's camry with the 2az-fe engine. and when i looked in the airbox the part that goes on top looked like it had a filter built in to it. has anyone noticed that and is it even a filter? if it is a filter after the drop in filter then i feel better putting the k&n back in there. also while i'm asking this question, how often does a k&n need reoiling? how about cleaning? thanks

is that maybe what they call a 'breather filter'? I dont know, Im just asking.

Does the owner's manual make any comments about it? It would need to be a PM item, as the filter tests Ive seen still allow some dirt through no matter what.

JMH

I doubt it. Alot of the Toyota air boxes have white plastic bits to control air flow for the MAF. Did you see filter material or just some holes. If you mom ain't racing, do her a favor and buy a dry filter.

Will there be any fuel economy increase by running that K&N? If there is, I would put it back in and leave it. My girls father thinks the K&N is a good thing, and has tracked his mileage with the old run, track, and top-off trick. He claims that his mileage is up about 20 miles a tank.

I dont use a K&N, but if it improves gas mileage without doing any damage, you should use it.

Any fuel economy gains would be from running leaner. I don't see how a properly working air flow sensor could let that happen. If it does let more air in (which it shouldn't at part throttle) then more fuel should go with it and improved mileage isn't going to come from the motor having to suck a little less hard. I'm not saying your freind is wrong of lying but I think there is more going on. Maybe he has a MAF with a little oil on it and not getting a proper air flow reading. Maybe I just don't understand. i would like to know the mechanism that allows a K&N to achieve better mileage.

i can get upto 50 more miles a tank by changing my driving habits.

I went from 27mpg to 30mpg-33mpg just by cruising to a stop in gear rather then neutral and changing my shift habits.

The mechanism that allows it to achieve better mileage is... (or the concept is)

Oiled Cotton Guaze

When the paper filter becomes CLOGGED with age and cannot meet the demands of the correct air mixture with fuel, due to the vacumm of the clogged filter, then you loose fuel economy.

Today, K&N doesnt claim increased economy, but it claims to hold the proper fuel economy longer then paper. Thats there whole new fighting gas price campaign.

It is true you know, but if you change your air filter every 10k like alot of you fanatics do, then theres really only downsides when you look at a K&N.

Who wants to waste time checking it, oiling it, and wondering if you did it all right.

quote:

Originally posted by asiancivicmaniac:
today i went to put the k&n back in my mom's camry with the 2az-fe engine. and when i looked in the airbox the part that goes on top looked like it had a filter built in to it. has anyone noticed that and is it even a filter?

The top part of my Corolla's airbox is exactly like you described and has a filter built into it.

Could it be to catch particles that could pass through what appears to be a cheap paper filter?

This is what I think it is. Since the MAF is built into the top of the airbox I would guess it is a smoothing screen. A more laminar airflow across the sensor will result in a more accurate reading for the fuel map
For example...
I've seen a car on the dyno with the MAF smoothing screen installed, the power curve (torque) maps nice and smooth. Take the smoothing screen out, and the torque curve starts to jump all over the place, and I do mean nasty. The cars MAF is getting a turbulent airflow reading, high one milisecond, low the next. The sensor is constantly trying to adapt to the airflow, but having big trouble doing so.

That's my 2cents
grin.gif

My other suggestion would be to stick with the TRD drop in if they make it for this car. Toyota backs their filters with a factory warranty.

Upon further research, this filter you see is actually a carbon/charcoal element designed to trap gasoline vapours from the engine and prevent them from outgasing to atmosphere. Similar purpose as the charcoal element element in the EVAP can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back