Question About Bosch Distance Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Some of the Bosch distance plus filters are actually PureOnes. That's about all I know about them. The Pure One PL20195 is one of the Bosch filters maybe even the 3330. There are posts on here about it.

Um... dude, not to ruffle feathers but if that's all you know about them... you literally know nothing about them. I have both of those and they ARE NOT THE SAME FILTER. Both have metal cans, media inside, and gaskets, but they are not the same.

My guess is that you are probably confusing the Bosch D+ filter in the semi-clear box and blue paint job that is available at Advance and Poop Boyz with the Bosch Premium

I sit corrected.
lol.gif
I must have been confusing the two.

It's all good dude!
wink.gif
With like 30 different filter models out there, it gets hard to keep them all straight!!

I wonder how many Toyota and Honda dealers out there (or even the fast lube places) have done oil changes and told the owner that they didn't need the oil filter changed until the next OC? Probably not many, I bet their normal practice is to change the filter with every oil change they do. So in reality, I bet there are probably a very small number of Honda and Toyota owners who have been doing the "every other oil change" thing.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I wonder how many Toyota and Honda dealers out there (or even the fast lube places) have done oil changes and told the owner that they didn't need the oil filter changed until the next OC? Probably not many, I bet their normal practice is to change the filter with every oil change they do. So in reality, I bet there are probably a very small number of Honda and Toyota owners who have been doing the "every other oil change" thing.
A you said, probably not many, I'd add, 'if any'. Can't say I've ever seen that recommendation by a Honda dealer I've had do an OC early in my ownership of a new Honda. OT Only thing I ever heard the service advisor say is to leave the FF in for ~6k. I went ~4800 mi./9months, all I could stand with the thought of all the break in wear metals.

I agree with the poster(s) saying as long as your under the car while up on ramps or jack stands, might as well change the filter. That said, for the first time ever I'm likely going to give the BD+ I'm running now two '~10% MM/1 year max' OCI's. More of an experiment, cut the BD+ open after, check it out. Doubt it will make a difference in the engine life of my Accord.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I am thinking of using each for more than one oil change for convenience.

The Bosch Distance Plus is a top tier filter, and will easily go two oil changes since it can hold lots of debris.

I always cringe when I hear people talk about using a filter for 2 oil changes. Yes, the Distance+ filter may hold the dirt for another oil change...but then again it may not and you'll be running on bypass just letting dirty oil flow free. Is that really worth a few dollars?? Not to mention, you contaminate your fresh oil with up to a quart of old dirty oil. Why?? You're under there anyway - change the filter!

To you, Honda is totally wrong in recommending change oil filter only on second oil change for millions engines they produced every year for that last 10-15 years !

GM used to recommend this too in the 80's - right in the owner's manual. Doesn't make it right, does it? Car makers are in the business to sell cars not make yours last forever. Reusing a dirty oil filter is like flipping your underwear inside out and wearing it another day after a shower. Same [censored] is still in your pants.

Last edited:
Quote:
GM used to recommend this too in the 80's - right in the owner's manual. Doesn't make it right, does it? Car makers are in the business to sell cars not make yours last forever. Reusing a dirty oil filter is like flipping your underwear inside out and wearing it another day after a shower. Same [censored] is still in your pants.

crackmeup2.gif
It took 24 posts this time before the dirty underwear analogy came up. Not bad. Hey, the Distance Plus advertises a holding capacity of ~29 grams of [censored], imo it can easily handle two OCI's, as can some other EP filters. Especially in a well maintained vehicle.

As for the underwear, not sure of different brands rated holding capacity of skid marks?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

crackmeup2.gif
It took 24 posts this time before the dirty underwear analogy came up. Not bad. Hey, the Distance Plus advertises a holding capacity of ~29 grams of [censored], imo it can easily handle two OCI's, as can some other EP filters. Especially in a well maintained vehicle.

As for the underwear, not sure of different brands rated holding capacity of skid marks?
grin2.gif

lol.gif
That's funny. Glad I came in at the right time! Anyway, good point you bring up about the capacity of the Distance plus.

Now let me throw this curve ball out....If a person is doing extended oil change intervals, say 10-15k miles which a lot of OLM's are recomending than that that would be a one time use for a filter, right? It did it's job for 10-15k miles, you wouldn't use that same filter for 20-30k miles would you? It would appear the Distance Plus and other filters like it are really designed to last the full oil change of an extended oil change interval.

The 3-5k mile oil change guy could reuse the filter one time safely, but not the 10-15k mile guy, is this what is being said/meant?? I could buy that.

Oh well, no matter, I will still change my filter at every change.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

The 3-5k mile oil change guy could reuse the filter one time safely, but not the 10-15k mile guy, is this what is being said/meant?? I could buy that.

Oh well, no matter, I will still change my filter at every change.

I think that's what people are getting at. Using a high capacity filter like the Bosch DP for two
The only time I've ever used an oil filter for two oil changes was on a Toyota truck that was a PIA to change the filter. I did 5K OCIs, so sometimes I would leave the filter on and change it every other oil change since the service manual showed that was OK for non-server use conditions. Truck had 145K miles when I traded it, and it ran as strong and had the same emissions output as the day it was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back