Question about adding LubeGard red

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 10 FL OZ bottle of LubeGard red that I am wanting to try in the auto transmission on my truck (1991 GMC K2500).
I often read that it is very important not to overfill the transmission. The level is currently fairly near the high operating level on the stick.
My question is, will adding 10 OZ of potentially overfill the gearcase and cause harm?
Don't laugh - you got to ask when you don't know!
blush.gif

I would say no, because its a small % of the total volume. Think you have something like 12 or 16 qts. What are you trying to solve? rough 1-2 shifts or something else?

Thanks LeakySeals - yeah I have a bit of a rough 1-2 shift happening. Is is not always there, but much of the time.
I have also noticed that on a cold transmission, the very first shift from 1 to 2 requires high rpm to make it happen.
About 4K miles since pan was dropped for a filter and partial fluid change.

I had the same concerns as the OP. But I added approximately 11oz (1oz per quart of ATF volume) with no problems to report. Vehicle was my GMC Sierra 1500.

CT8 - partial change about 4K miles ago (pan drop). Rest unknown as it was in there when I bought the vehicle.
Sierra048 - that sounds reassuring - I will be missing 1 OZ as the bottle I have is only 10. Hopefully it still proves to work
smile.gif

I figured so, I have it too occasionally. In addition to the filter I did a complete exchange using the transmissions pump and the return cooler line. Was pretty easy. That made a HUGE difference getting the crud out. Then I changed the diff oil front and rear and it got even better. then the AWD transfer case, better after that. So there are other drivetrain parts that influence the shifting. The long cold shift is normal, no worries. Computer induced for warmup.

Originally Posted By: sr17
CT8 - partial change about 4K miles ago (pan drop).

I'd do another pan drop then add the LubeGard.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Wouldn't it be prudent to first figure out what exact model transmission OP has?

My truck has the 700R4 transmission, which to my understanding is basically the same as the 4L60, but without electronic controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back