Quality TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to replace the hand me down 1990s floor model TV. Looking for a good quality TV that will last just as long I hope. Looking at 50-55" ones. I'm not into 3D [censored]. Netflix would be nice. Any suggestions? We're on Dish so the HD isn't especially spectacular.

If it were me, I would buy a Samsung or Sony LED-LCD TV and call it a day. I tend to shy away from SMART TVs but they both have them. My Sony Blu-ray has Netflix so I don't have to have a Smart TV.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports suggested for a bargain TV to get a 720 plasma TV under 50". Hard to detect 720 when you are not right close to the TV.

Their feeling was that plasma still has some benefits over LCD/LED. (But not over OLED).

There are quite a few options out there. I'm seriously looking at the Ubuntu TV experience, but not sure where or quite how to get it. The website might help, looks cool as that is what is on my laptop right now. Ubuntu TV

Samsung makes good TV’s now after they had failures like crazy due to using cheap parts and poor quality soldering. Honestly I have a Dynex 42" TV no frills that I won at work that is nice. Dynex is Best Buy's in house tv, I've been told that LG, Samsung, and Sometimes Sony make the TV's for them.

I personally would never own a plasma unless it was for movies only. A daily used TV will have burn in. I recommended LED-LCD because of no burn in, better viewing angles, and the prices are right. If you are chasing technology (which I didn't get from OP) then I would go with the newest of TVs.

Plasma has never looked like a good option to me.

Go to the store and try the various interfaces. Everyone's GUI is different for all of the included streaming services, and I would recommend you pick the one that's easiest to use.

Until you start spending big bucks on TVs, or have a very discerning eye, the differences between the big brands are slim. I always give the slight nod to plasma for its better black levels and contrast, but the gap is getting pretty narrow.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Go to the store and try the various interfaces. Everyone's GUI is different for all of the included streaming services, and I would recommend you pick the one that's easiest to use.

Until you start spending big bucks on TVs, or have a very discerning eye, the differences between the big brands are slim. I always give the slight nod to plasma for its better black levels and contrast, but the gap is getting pretty narrow.

I agree, plasma tvs do have better black levels and refresh rates. Too many concerns with plasma for me to own it. If I had a movie room dedicated to just home theater then yes, it would be a plasma. Transporting a plasma is a bigger problem then LCD. So many little things that out weight a daily watcher for me.

Originally Posted By: DodgeRamz2007

I agree, plasma tvs do have better black levels and refresh rates. Too many concerns with plasma for me to own it. If I had a movie room dedicated to just home theater then yes, it would be a plasma. Transporting a plasma is a bigger problem then LCD. So many little things that out weight a daily watcher for me.

For older plasmas, I would agree. The new ones don't suffer from those problems anymore. While they still consume more juice than a comparably sized LED/CCFL LCD, they don't throw off tons of heat anymore and burn-in is almost impossible.

My next TV will be a plasma and I have zero concerns about its reliability or quirkiness.

For older plasmas, I would agree. The new ones don't suffer from those problems anymore. While they still consume more juice than a comparably sized LED/CCFL LCD, they don't throw off tons of heat anymore and burn-in is almost impossible.

My next TV will be a plasma and I have zero concerns about its reliability or quirkiness.

How will they hold up to long sessions of game play on like Xboxs?

Last edited:
I found the panasonic plasma ones tempting, excellent picture quality with no frills for $600-700, but my TV is in a bright room with windows on all four walls so we needed an LED or LCD TV.
Ended up with Toshiba 40E220U which still surprises me sometimes on how good a still image looks. Its a little choppy though with whole screen panning.
I used http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/ for most of my decision process. They love the panasonic plasmas.

How will they hold up to long sessions of game play on like Xboxs?

Should be fine. As I said, burn-in is very difficult on the current generation sets. The newer phosphors are more resilient, and there are software tricks employed to shift the entire image by 1 pixel.

Burn-in only happens if you are grossly negligent and running ESPN for 24 hours a day. (think sports bars)

Im kinda leery on plasma still. We had a plasma in the bed room and I used it for gaming as well. Fallout 3 burned in there pretty well. I've heard good thing on Samsung. I've browsed WalMart and the tv's in there seems like the picture quality is [censored]. But Then again it could be the signal. I've heard good things about Vizio but they seem overrated IMO. Wish I could get a German made Metz in the states that's not ludicrous expensive.

I am on the verge of buying a 50" TV and am strongly considering a plasma. For the most part what TV I do watch is movies. Never any video games and not too many sports.

I do not believe I will save $$ on a plasma over LED, just get a superior picture for movies.

Plasmas look great assuming you dont have an overly bright room. Those who want to get one better hurry. Panasonic already announced they won't be making them anymore.

Are TV's having problems like that did some years back as far as repairs ? This was one reason I stayed away from them after hearing of so many failing after a few years and not worth repairing .

I know I'll be looking to get a flat screen to replace the old projection TV at some point that still works great and I'll likely go with an LED due to the bright room and the fact those used less power .

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Im kinda leery on plasma still. We had a plasma in the bed room and I used it for gaming as well. Fallout 3 burned in there pretty well. I've heard good thing on Samsung. I've browsed WalMart and the tv's in there seems like the picture quality is [censored]. But Then again it could be the signal. I've heard good things about Vizio but they seem overrated IMO. Wish I could get a German made Metz in the states that's not ludicrous expensive.

We've owned a VIZIO 55” inch TruLED® LCD TV with VIZIO Internet Apps for 3 years now and know many others who have a vizio with no regrets or issues.Pretty good for a "over-rated" tv as you say.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

I've got a VIZIO 55” inch TruLED® LCD TV with VIZIO Internet Apps and know many others who have a vizio with no regrets or issues.

I have Vizio LCD TV maybe 37", no problems after 2 or 3 years. Vizio Blu-Ray player is also 2-3 years old. No real problems. Sometimes it does not play a disc and I need to eject the drawer and center the disc and it will play. That maybe me just not putting in the disc properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back