Quaker State Vs. Purolator, Motorcraft, AC Delco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking into using Quaker Statr oil filters for my vehicles since i love using QUaker State Oil

But im currebtly Using Motorcraft on my Aviator AC Delco on my Cutlass (Ecore) and a Purolator Classic on my Galant.

How does the QS oil filter hold up agaisnt these im currently using.?

Any experience with QS oil filters. Money isnt the issue its just they seem well built and for the price seems good. But if its bad im sticking to what im using.

QS filters are made by Purolator. They are nearly if not exactly identical to a Purolator Classic. Motorcraft filters are also made by Purolator, but to Ford's specs.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
QS filters are made by Purolator. They are nearly if not exactly identical to a Purolator Classic. Motorcraft filters are also made by Purolator, but to Ford's specs.

Exactly - and QS filters can usually be obtained for a very low price.

Motorcraft might be a better filter for extended OCIs if you're using one with a Silicone ADBV. MC, Purolator, and QS are all better than Ecore IMO.

As to which of the four has better filration efficiency, that's anyone's guess. QS is the best bang for the buck, assuming fairly conservative OCIs.

All vehicles see less than 3K miles per OCI i do 2 a year

Overall i think it sees qbout ~3000 a year

All vehicles see less than 3K miles per OCI i do 2 a year

Overall i think it sees qbout ~3000 a year

With
If you go to the QS on the Galant you will be forced to get/use the shorter 'shorty' version (14612) of L14610 that is spec'd. Not a big deal, but I prefer the longer L14610 whenever possible.

I'd also stick with the FL820S on the Avaitor 4.6L. ~$4 or less at Wally with silicone adbv design seems to work well on the 4.6L. and FoMoCo engines in general

As for the Cutlass, either the Classic L10111 or QS3387A would be a good alternative choice for ACD ecore. The L10111 is rated 97.5% @20um efficient in this application.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
QS filters are made by Purolator. They are nearly if not exactly identical to a Purolator Classic.

Not in all cases. Have you looked at a Quaker State 8A oil filter lately? It's been downsized to the same size as a Fram PH3600 in an attempt to carry fewer numbers in the stores.
They are still a good filter, it's just that I wouldn't always compare them to a Purolator classic and I wouldn't run them past 5K miles. I also wouldn't use them on any engine that likes a silicon ADBV, such as a Ford 4.6/5.4 engine.

Last edited:
I have run Quaker State filters to 8k miles. The media was fine. It's the ADBV I've had problems with.

I'll probably run my current crop out to whatever the OLM says and then switch to Car Quest Blues..

I had issues with the ADBV on Qs filter on a 1994 Geo Prizm; they seemed to fail at about 5k, or a bit less.

OTOH, I just ran a QS filter on a 1mzfe Camry out to 5,700 miles, and the ADBV was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back