Quaker State HM FS 5W30 D1G3 VOA

Impressive viscosity and a bit overachieving compared to the 11.7 they claim on the PDS. Lots of metals in this virgin sample. Lead especially is a bit surprising. Additive package looks good but the oxidation is a bit low for a HM oil.

QS HM FS 5W30.jpg

As someone who is a Quaker State fan I would have to say Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage seems to have a beefier additive pack for a very similar price at Walmart.

But Quaker State seems to be one of the very few with Dexos certification on their high mileage options.

Possibly some contamination on testing equipment in regards to the wear metals, I don't recall seeing lead on any other QS VOA's but I could be mistaken.

As someone who is a Quaker State fan I would have to say Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage seems to have a beefier additive pack for a very similar price at Walmart.

But Quaker State seems to be one of the very few with Dexos certification on their high mileage options.

Possibly some contamination on testing equipment in regards to the wear metals, I don't recall seeing lead on any other QS VOA's but I could be mistaken.
5 qt jug of QS is $18.82. Valvoline is $28.97. I agree that the Valvoline looks better, but that's a pretty big price point difference that makes the QS have a lot more value.

that appears to be very high calcium for having the Dexos 1 Gen3 label...I thought the LSPI concern was for much lower calcium

thanks for posting this

Bill
Excellent point! It must work out with the added Magnesium. Nice starting Visc. Lead happens from time to time & I wouldn't condemn the oil. Overall, This goes right inline with their tag line "It's Just D*** Good Oil". Thanks for testing this!

that appears to be very high calcium for having the Dexos 1 Gen3 label...I thought the LSPI concern was for much lower calcium

thanks for posting this

Bill
Well according to GM Dexos it is in fact licensed under Dexos 1 Gen 3

yes...curious they would give it license approval with that high calcium percentage...Mobil and AC Delco/GM synthetics of the same weight seem to be a third to almost half as much...that alone would keep me from using it on 3 cars I take care of...

Bill

thanks for posting this

Bill
The Ca limit per API for LSPI is 1500 ppm.

FWIW - this is the exact same oil as QS FS 5W-30, with the added bonus of a seal conditioning ester.

Last edited:
Most of the others I've check on PQIA are all above 8 in fact near 8.3 to 8.5.

Blackstone has Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic at 6.7 TBN and other VOA's show their extended performance option to be in the 6.5 range.

Supertech High Mileage Full Synthetic 6.1
Castrol Edge High Mileage 6.4
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5.4
Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage 6.9

All of these you can see on this forum, SPEEDiagnostix which is an actual oil analysis company run by someone who has worked in the oil industry and formulated oil for racing teams mentions this.

Most of the others I've check on PQIA are all above 8 in fact near 8.3 to 8.5.

You are confusing two different methods. PQIA uses the D2896 method of measuring TBN while most of the oil analysis labs use D4739. You cannot compare the two as D2896 has values usually 1.5-2.5 units higher than D4739.

Here's some more info on the differences:
TBN_methods.png

And here is a table of all the latest versions of the major high mileage oils analyzed from the same lab, using the same D4739 TBN method. Like Lake Speed says in the video that @Furious linked above, TBN is a less valid measure of oil life (new or used) than it used to be.

Last edited:
Blackstone has Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic at 6.7 TBN and other VOA's show their extended performance option to be in the 6.5 range.

Supertech High Mileage Full Synthetic 6.1
Castrol Edge High Mileage 6.4
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5.4
Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage 6.9

All of these you can see on this forum, SPEEDiagnostix which is an actual oil analysis company run by someone who has worked in the oil industry and formulated oil for racing teams mentions this.

So what I hear you saying is that PQIA is all wet and got it wrong?

Back