PZ Truck/SUV 10w30, 3,054mi, '99 Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motor Oil: Pennzoil Truck and SUV (semi-synthetic) 10w-30. It appears that this oil is no longer promoted on the Pennzoil web site. However, a Google search brings up many hits for this oil.

Annual Mileage: ~ 6,000 miles

Driving Patterns: Alternating weeks of fewer than 20 miles to local commuter train station/local travel and mixed highway and suburban driving of less than 150 miles. Occasional outing and vacation travel.

Other: The 4.0l burns no oil between changes. The engine had the connecting rod bearings and exhaust manifold gasket replaced at the time of the Pennzoil fill. All other wear was fine and there was NO sludge in the dropped oil pan or anywhere else visible. I was diligent in changing the oil and filter at ~3,000 mile intervals.

VOA: The Blain's VOA for this oil appears in another thread.

Previous Oils: The previous oil changes used Blain's Farm and Fleet (by Citgo/Mystik).

Filter: All filters are Purolator Classic.

Thanks for your interest!

Cherokee_112410.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get it - you'll do rod bearings on an 11-year old Jeep with 116k miles, but you don't re-build the 3.7 V-6 in your Liberty, with only 57k, that burns a quart every 1k??

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I don't get it - you'll do rod bearings on an 11-year old Jeep with 116k miles, but you don't re-build the 3.7 V-6 in your Liberty, with only 57k, that burns a quart every 1k??

addyguy,

You're watching some free choice in action. There was an $1,300 fix for the Cherokee and the Liberty is more of a mystery right now, even with the improvement to ~1,100 to 1,200 miles per quart.

Regarding plugs and emissions testing, I changed out the plugs at about 50k miles. They weren't badly worn and there was no fouling.

I've already tried the MaxLife 10w-30. No significant change. Besides, "thin is in" on this forum!

BTW, I bought the Jeep at 26,000 miles under factory warranty from the Jeep dealer I previously patronized during the transition from "Old Chrysler" to "New Chrysler." Old Chrysler stated that 600 mi/qt was acceptable for consumption. I even had a lengthy oil consumption test. I will not go out of my way for a Chrysler product again.

The Liberty runs well aside from the oil consumption. Oil is less expensive than a replacement car right now...

Best wishes,

Originally Posted By: Six_in_a_row
Originally Posted By: addyguy

addyguy,

You're watching some free choice in action. There was an $1,300 fix for the Cherokee and the Liberty is more of a mystery right now, even with the improvement to ~1,100 to 1,200 miles per quart.

Regarding plugs and emissions testing, I changed out the plugs at about 50k miles. They weren't badly worn and there was no fouling.

I've already tried the MaxLife 10w-30. No significant change. Besides, "thin is in" on this forum!

BTW, I bought the Jeep at 26,000 miles under factory warranty from the Jeep dealer I previously patronized during the transition from "Old Chrysler" to "New Chrysler." Old Chrysler stated that 600 mi/qt was acceptable for consumption. I even had a lengthy oil consumption test. I will not go out of my way for a Chrysler product again.

The Liberty runs well aside from the oil consumption. Oil is less expensive than a replacement car right now...

Best wishes,

Sorry for any confusion in this '99 Jeep Cherokee thread in my reply to addyguy. The UOA for the '06 Liberty appears separately in this forum.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Its now a 50/50 blend for the GOLD. Was less than 35% synthetic for the S.U.V. blend . This was stated by a PENNZOIL tech I spoke to about 4 months ago .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: odie
Its now a 50/50 blend for the GOLD. Was less than 35% synthetic for the S.U.V. blend . This was stated by a PENNZOIL tech I spoke to about 4 months ago .

odie,

I'm surprised that the Pennzoil organization would drop the Truck/SUV brand after taking so much effort to promote it. I'm impressed that anyone outside of Pennzoil was able to conclude there was a connection between GOLD and Truck/SUV.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Your welcome . I would use it but it's hard to find and if you do discover it the price is usually above $4 a quart . No thanks . Years ago you could pick up the S.U.V. for 99 cents a quart . Those times are long gone .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back